What carrier/sim card to get for unlocked iphone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauly1, Apr 27, 2014.

1. pauly1 macrumors regular

I bought an iphone 4s unlocked. I currently use it only for wifi at the moment. Im from the usa and in canada at the moment. I had to go back to the usa and also got this phone when ordered on ebay. I did not buy a sim card and dont have one. I would want one once i get back to the usa and thus have a carrier plan while in the usa.

I know virgin mobile is the cheapest carrier plan but i didnt buy that iphone b/c if i wanted to use the iphone in canada on a plan, i wouldnt be able to buy a sim card in canada and use it just like that.

From what i read, theres basically if i want monthly plan, its tmobile, straight talk or metropcs right? Tmobile is 50 plus tax a month, straight talk is 45 plus tax per month and metropcs is around the same?

How much does a sim card cost for each carrier? I see that ebay has tmobile sim card for the iphone4s for like 5 dollars or so. But why does sim card cost lot more for the other 2 carriers?

Obviously tmobile would be the best choice out of all of them? Curious about the service of straight talk and metropcs.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

In what specific locations? Coverage varies with any carrier.

3. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

NYC.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290890345551?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Is this what is needed for my iphone4s?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-T...121298278170?pt=SIM_Cards&hash=item1c3df0d71a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Mobile-4G...221373204028?pt=SIM_Cards&hash=item338adf063c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290890345551?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I read description says

This Micro Sim will work with Prepaid & postpaid service.

FOR NEW PREPAID ACTIVATION. YOU NEED TO BUY AN ACTIVATION CODE.

Sim Card Only . NO ACTIVATION CODE No prepaid Activation kit

SIM CARD USE IN USA ONLY

Can someone explain this?

4. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

I took a look at tmobiles 50 dollar a month plus tax plan. Its unlimited everything but its 1gb of data and then data slows down a lot.

Then you have straight talk and thats 45 plus tax and its high speed data of up to 3gb.

If this is the case, isn't straight talk better then?

5. pauly1, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014

pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

6. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

I bought a tmobile sim card on ebay many months ago but never installed it because i never activated my cell.

A straight talk rep told me that if i decided to go with straight talk as oppose to tmobile, i should be able to do this with the tmobile sim card. But they suggested if i do that, get their sim card. So is it true or false, i could actually use this tmobile sim card put it in, then sign up with straight talk? If true, what other carriers could i sign up with, with this tmobile sim card? Really confusing b/c i thought whatever sim card i have such as tmobile or straight talk, u could only use it for that carrier....

Also can a sim card be only used once after its activated and once you switch to another carrier, it no longer works and you have to buy the same sim card again if you wanted to go back to it?

Example i have tmobile sim card. I activate it with tmobile and the 50 dollar plan. I use it for 2 months. Now i want to go with straight talk. First off, would i need a straight talk sim card? Would having another tmobile sim card work since a straighttalk rep said it might even work for straight talk? So let say i then decide so switch to straight talk after 2 months of tmobile, then after those 2 months, i want to go back to tmobile.

Would the original sim card i used for activating tmobile service in the first place no longer work anymore if i were to go back to tmobile after cancelling their service and then 2 months later going back? My wording might sound confusing but i think you all know what i mean.

Also iphone is unlocked as many of you should know.

7. libu macrumors member

libu

I'd go with T-Mobile.

Avoid MetroPCS.

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

1. False. The SIM cards are specific to T-Mobile. Even an MVNO such as Straight Talk won't be able to use it.

2. Depends. If you transfer your number, the T-Mobile SIM card gets deactivated and you'll have to get a new T-Mobile SIM if you want to switch back. If you just get a new number from StraighTalk and just decide not to reload the T-Mobile SIM then you might still be able to reuse it. The SIM doesn't get deactivated right away when you don't reload. I believe there's a grace period from when your balance expires to when the SIM card/phone number gets deactivated. You'll have to check T-Mobile's TOS for specifics.