What case/bag/etc. to buy for my new purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Exodemia, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Exodemia macrumors regular

An interesting one for you, I've just bought the laptop that I will be using for the next probably 4 or years of my life whilst I'm at home, on the move and at uni...a Macbook, yes it's got everything I need and it's nice and portable! Thank you Apple! Albeit it won't be arriving until probably Friday because I live in the UK and there's industrial action at the moment with our national postal service!

Anyway I want to get prepared, I've bought a bigger hard drive for it which will be temporary until a higher max capacity hard drives come out and an external enclosure for a SATA hard drive.

What I want to get next is a case or bag for it to protect it and keep it safe. Preferably I'd be able to put all my other gadgets in it too (mobile, iPod when I get round to buying one, etc.) plus maybe some of my work or other important documents/books. Now I want something which is decent and doesn't look like a boring laptop case (i.e. black with a zip). Can people recommend me some that they think would be ideal or really good that I might be interested in? Thanks.

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

3. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

Jesus 185 dollars!! lol doesn't look very capacious either :p

4. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I use the STM Alley 13-inch. Has room for everything, fits my MacBook like a glove, good protection too. Best of all, looks cool, and not like a laptop case.

STM alley in the apple store

5. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

Now that's what I saw on a website and it looks really good! I'm very keen on it but haven't bought it because I wasn't entirely sure it was compatiable with the 13.3" Macbook. I've bought a laptop case before and it was too small for the laptop so don't want to make the same mistake!

# Some guy has written a review for the bag on the Apple Store saying that water gets in, is this true?

6. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

It's definitely compatible with the MacBook. Really does fit the laptop like a glove, I can't rave about it enough.

Water gets in... if you're bringing it out in a torrential downpour! I can see what he means though. There are 2 flaps on the bag. One small one on the inside that covers the opening to the laptop and paper section, and then another big flap that covers the entire bag. It's not waterproof, but definitely water-resistant. I'd be happy taking it out in a light rain for short periods. But the bag's not that big, so it's easy to cover.

Long story short: great bag, perfect for MacBook, inexpensive.

7. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

I see there are other options on there, are they any better? And someone else complained about power supply? I don't get why he'd need, the whole of a laptop is portability, if he was going to stay somewhere though I kinda get why.

8. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

My power adapter can fit in the big pocket in the large flap, when necessary. There's a surprising amount of room in the bag. It slims down nicely, but can expand when needed.

As for other options, I have no idea. I wanted something fairly small and sleek, and didn't want a sleeve. I bought the STM as a friend had another STM bag and really liked it.

9. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like it's gunna be the STM unless anyone can suggest something they think is even better?

10. jonnylink macrumors 6502

I like timbuk2 bags. I used to be able to ride my bike to work a lot, so it was perfect. Though I didn't have the laptop specific bag-- a friend made me a sleeve for my MacBook Pro to use with it. The nice thing too is that you can customize the bag without having to pay that much more.

11. PCRanger macrumors regular

I use a Samsonite backpack, I think it's the 225 Series Out-Liners.
    I like it, because it's got a reinforced back to protect the laptop, plenty of room for accessories, documents, cameras, lenses etc.
    Plus I prefer using it on my bike compared to a shoulder bag, for balance reasons. :)

12. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

13. elcid macrumors 6502

Not trying to jack your thread, but does anyone use these bags to carry a couple books around? Maybe 2 or 4 inches of books? Im at college and I have a good bag now but I think the books compress the MacBook too much when I walk.

14. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

15. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I got a Timbuk2 messenger bag I got custom colors for 30 more. I have the Large size for my MBP, but you can get a size to fit the MB. I know a couple other people who have these and the hold up really nicely. We all ride bikes and although we try hard to keep everything nice, some times life on the street (sorta speak) can get rough. My MBP is still perfect.:)

17. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

My STM Alley can carry a few books in it, depending on what else is in the bag. It's not a huge bag to be honest, and works best with just the MacBook and a few papers in, but it can squeeze a fair amount of stuff in. If you regularly carry a lot of books though, it's prob not the best bag for you.

18. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I just bought the moshi Codex 13 se. It's friggin' amazing. I've attached a picture of the beautiful texture. I will write a review soon. I got the special edition opalescent pink one, but there are always the silver and black models ... oh! And evidently they sell a red model now, too..

http://www.aevoe.com/moshi/codex_13.htm
    http://www.aevoe.com/moshi/codex_13se.htm

They are pricey (particularly the se) but I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

Attached Files:

19. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Weird to bump a thread that isn't mine, but I saw you got your MacBook and wondered if you'd had a chance to check out any of our recommendations. :)

20. ANH25 macrumors newbie

Love my ZeroShock 3

I bought a timbuk2 for my Apple G5 12", but found it didn't offer a lot of protection from impact shock. I wanted something that was going to go for the long hall. I really like my ZeroShock 3 13 inch case for my new MacBook 13.3. The company I know of in the US that carries them is Shinza.com. They just came out with three colors too..not really my favorite, but they are waterproof which is great. The quality is impressive considering how low the price is (I used a discount coupon given to me by their customer people). They have a bunch of pictures on the site.

21. samuraikiss macrumors regular

22. Exodemia thread starter macrumors regular

I actually didn't buy a specific laptop bag, I use my Ben Sherman satchel that I take to uni and it seems to do the job fine although protection is reduced. It's just I want to be lugging tons of bags round when I can fit everything in the one.

23. mavherzog macrumors 6502

Another strong recommendation for the ZeroShock case. I originally bought one for my iBook (last gen, 12") and was sold on it. Every laptop I buy now gets one. (so far, a MacBook and a couple of Thinkpads) The protection they provide is unmatched.