Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
just ordered one online and was wondering what you guys have, i plan on using it to read so i don't want to use the smart case to take on and off, was thinking of a smart cover and clear back so i can just snap off the cover when i want and the back and sides are still protected

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
On my iPad Air I use the SmartCase, on my retina Mini I use the SmartCase but on my Mini I use the SmartCover and have a custom printed vinyl wrap on the back and around the bezel, although I am now going to put a SmartCase on it.

I used http://www.wrappz.co.uk in the UK for the vinyl prints.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
When the rMini first cane out I found a Crowne book style case on Amazon. My wife had used one on her IPad 2 and loved it. My here were .01 plus $4.90 shipping. I bought one for each of my minis. Turns out it is a great case.

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
case for mini.

Poetic slim line case is the best. It is very slim and light. And it doesn't cost a arm and leg to get it.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Poetic slim line case is the best. It is very slim and light. And it doesn't cost a arm and leg to get it.

This is what I have as well. It's perfect. It was cheap on amazon when I got it, I think $5 for the black.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
It depends . . .

I change depending on the intended use.

For travel I like extra protection even if it adds some bulk. You would be amazed how nice the bookbook is for the mini. I had one for my 3, but it was pretty big. On the mini, however, it's kind of a perfect size. But yes, it is kind of bulky. But completely protects from dust and impact when I put it in my briefcase. Also has nicely adjustable viewing angles (landscape only).

Around the house I go between a SmartCover/Incipio Smart Feather combo or the Moshi Versacover. The Moshi, by the way, is a great cover, but they really have an odd color selection. The blue is kind of nice on a white rMini.

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
how does it feel when you hold it? i would be using it to read for extended periods of time, also is it hard to get off?

Feels nice and sturdy, but it's a not easy to take off. It's got a hard rubber with a plastic back cover. It's more of put it on and leave it on type case. It does add some weight to it but not much.

Every case adds bulk and weight to the ipad mini. Some more then others. Being light comes at a cost of not offering much protection. I do not expect this thing to protect my mini like the Otterbox defender would if I dropped it. I'm most likely gonna buy that or the lifeproof this summer.

If you like the case, is a cheapskate, and can wait, there is another thread where you can buy knockoffs for way cheaper. I cannot wait for 30+ days, I want my stuff now so I get them at amazon, plus I have prime.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1698814/

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I want to use the iPad without anything attached. I hate the Smart Cover because it just feels weird to use a tablet as a book. So I went for a sleeve. I've bought a smooth grey one from Joli originals and I love it!

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I'm using the Tech21 with the Apple Smart cover.

Attachments

• IMG_1700.JPG
    IMG_1700.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1701.JPG
    IMG_1701.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 275

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
Went with the Poetic Covermate. Little bulkier than the Slim, but it's cool looking, so it wins.

Attachments

• IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 231

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I'm looking for a good case with Smart Cover capability and the ability for landscape and portrait viewing. So far I've been told about the versacover and the devicewear detour. Unfortunately the detour for the retina mini isn't out yet, was told by them in email that it's due by next month. But that it'll look more like the ipad air detour and won't have the back cover separate like the original mini detour.

Can anyone recommend anything else?

Miguel760

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2013
I use the smart case. The leather is nice but I just can't get used to the book style cases.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver

I cut the front off the Poetic Slim Case and use the back with an Apple Smart Cover. Black on the back, and Red Smart Cover. A Perfect combination.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I cut the front off the Poetic Slim Case and use the back with an Apple Smart Cover. Black on the back, and Red Smart Cover. A Perfect combination.

That's hilarious and a great idea. I hate the cover on the Poetic, but the back isn't bad.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
my mini came with skinomi protection front and back, I'm thinking about just having a smart cover just so i can use it to wake the iPad up. not sure about leaving it vulnerable to dropping though. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.