iPad mini what case do you have on your retina mini

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by carjakester, Feb 3, 2014.

1. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

just ordered one online and was wondering what you guys have, i plan on using it to read so i don't want to use the smart case to take on and off, was thinking of a smart cover and clear back so i can just snap off the cover when i want and the back and sides are still protected

2. daddyd302 macrumors member

daddyd302

3. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

On my iPad Air I use the SmartCase, on my retina Mini I use the SmartCase but on my Mini I use the SmartCover and have a custom printed vinyl wrap on the back and around the bezel, although I am now going to put a SmartCase on it.

I used www.wrappz.co.uk in the UK for the vinyl prints.

4. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

When the rMini first cane out I found a Crowne book style case on Amazon. My wife had used one on her IPad 2 and loved it. My here were .01 plus $4.90 shipping. I bought one for each of my minis. Turns out it is a great case.

5. mfr1340 macrumors regular

case for mini.

Poetic slim line case is the best. It is very slim and light. And it doesn't cost a arm and leg to get it.

6. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

This is what I have as well. It's perfect. It was cheap on amazon when I got it, I think $5 for the black.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

8. quamsi macrumors regular

Mine came with a free smart case and I love it.

9. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

It depends . . .

I change depending on the intended use.

For travel I like extra protection even if it adds some bulk. You would be amazed how nice the bookbook is for the mini. I had one for my 3, but it was pretty big. On the mini, however, it's kind of a perfect size. But yes, it is kind of bulky. But completely protects from dust and impact when I put it in my briefcase. Also has nicely adjustable viewing angles (landscape only).

Around the house I go between a SmartCover/Incipio Smart Feather combo or the Moshi Versacover. The Moshi, by the way, is a great cover, but they really have an odd color selection. The blue is kind of nice on a white rMini.

10. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

11. goyellow macrumors newbie

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

13. daddyd302 macrumors member

daddyd302

Feels nice and sturdy, but it's a not easy to take off. It's got a hard rubber with a plastic back cover. It's more of put it on and leave it on type case. It does add some weight to it but not much.

Every case adds bulk and weight to the ipad mini. Some more then others. Being light comes at a cost of not offering much protection. I do not expect this thing to protect my mini like the Otterbox defender would if I dropped it. I'm most likely gonna buy that or the lifeproof this summer.

If you like the case, is a cheapskate, and can wait, there is another thread where you can buy knockoffs for way cheaper. I cannot wait for 30+ days, I want my stuff now so I get them at amazon, plus I have prime.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1698814

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I don't. I have an incase sleeve. But the device is naked!!

15. No-Me macrumors 6502a

I want to use the iPad without anything attached. I hate the Smart Cover because it just feels weird to use a tablet as a book. So I went for a sleeve. I've bought a smooth grey one from Joli originals and I love it!

16. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I'm using the Tech21 with the Apple Smart cover.

Attached Files:

17. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Went with the Poetic Covermate. Little bulkier than the Slim, but it's cool looking, so it wins.

Attached Files:

18. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

I like that combination, my moms ipad mini has the same kind of setup. I have to see how I feel about it once I get it.

19. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I'm looking for a good case with Smart Cover capability and the ability for landscape and portrait viewing. So far I've been told about the versacover and the devicewear detour. Unfortunately the detour for the retina mini isn't out yet, was told by them in email that it's due by next month. But that it'll look more like the ipad air detour and won't have the back cover separate like the original mini detour.

Can anyone recommend anything else?

20. Miguel760 macrumors member

I use the smart case. The leather is nice but I just can't get used to the book style cases.

21. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I cut the front off the Poetic Slim Case and use the back with an Apple Smart Cover. Black on the back, and Red Smart Cover. A Perfect combination.

22. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

That's hilarious and a great idea. I hate the cover on the Poetic, but the back isn't bad.

23. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

my mini came with skinomi protection front and back, I'm thinking about just having a smart cover just so i can use it to wake the iPad up. not sure about leaving it vulnerable to dropping though. :confused:

24. dbarron macrumors newbie

Ugh... don't like that one. But I really like my RooCase Origami.

RooCase Slimshell Origami

Same slim profile as the Poetic, but with the added benefit of a built-in stand for portrait as well.