What case do you reccomend for iPad3?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ModestMoo, Apr 15, 2012.

1. ModestMoo, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Hi guys, yesterday I bought iPad 3 and I want protect it. I was thinking to buy smart cover, but whats the point if I want back protection too. So, Is there are any cases in UK up to £50, which is all in one. Smart cover, back protection, in UK.

Thanks

2. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Smart cover is too expensive for what it provides, and that's not much. In the end I went with the targus versavue, couldn't be happier.

3. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Unless you really like the Smart Cover, I would stay away and keep searching. This forum is excellent to see the different cases out there that others have already purchased and offered their reviews on. It's great to do the research on here and let others do all the purchases so you can limit yours. I prefer an all in one case with case back and cover attached so you don't have to even think about the cover coming unattached. For me the smart cover slipped around on me in the typing mode and that was a deal breaker.

With all that said, it truly is a matter of personal choice. My favorite case out there is the Griffin Intellicase. While it's my favorite, many others do not like this case. What I like about this case is it's slimness and light weight, material that is easy to clean, open bezel, many colors, cover that works perfectly with the sleep/awake feature and best of all perfect stable and secure stand function. Others prefer a leather case, more protection, and stands that have either the fold up covers or the cases that fit in the slots and/or rotate. For my use, which is mostly in my lap typing and reading or watching movies in bed, the Griffin gives me the best option.

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

Apple Smartcover - $39 - vinyl, $69 - leather. (at Apple site)
    Incipio Smart Feather - $24 (Amazon)

$63 or $93 total

5. oli356 macrumors 6502

Works out at $101 for the cheapest option in the UK, (£64)
    the expensive optin is £88 ($140)

I'm really liking my STM Skinny, can be had for £33-40 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1337693&highlight=skinny

6. Philljp macrumors newbie

Im in the UK and after being disappointed with the Switcheasy Canvas, I'm looking at the speck fitfolio.

7. ModestMoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

I liked that smart cover, but when I saw the marks which it leaves (from everyday in a bag use) I didn't want it at all. And besides that, I'll need that in school, so I need perfect protection for that I'd be able to sell it later this year or maybe next year.
    Buuuuuuuut, I like smart cover functionality, easy removable, protects, nice looking.
    I had a look at Griffin Intellicase, I like it, but in reviews it's not that good. But its cheap, its like £25 or something.

I don't like STM Skinny, just because that crappy flap.

8. andrewnguyener macrumors member

I'd recommend the Incase Magazine Jacket. It has all the functionality of the Smart Cover and the back protection of say a Smart Feather. It'll save you around $20 too. It's $50 in the US, so I don't know how much it'll be in the UK. Got it from Best Buy. Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Philljp macrumors newbie

Eh?

10. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Everyone talks about the marks it leaves, but those marks wipe right off with a cloth. Having said that, my choice is the Zaggfolio with keyboard.

11. Deceptor macrumors newbie

The original title was spelt incorrectly.

The OP has now changed it.

12. SL4VE macrumors 6502

There's loads on eBay with back protection from £10 upwards. Have a look and see wha you like. I just out a smart cover like the incipio posted but with a clear rear cover and 0.9mm thick for £10.99

13. Sswx2188 macrumors newbie

Kensington

So the Kensington protective back cover for iPad 2 fits even snugger on iPad 3, I paired it with the tan leather smart cover and I haven't looked back, not even for a second. The leather smart cover never comes off, it feels great. The kensington protective back cover has a very nice thickness and rubbery texture that makes the iPad feel sticker, thicker, and easier to hold.. But dirt doesn't stick and it cleans easy too.

Lastly I paired it with a privacy protector which fits great, it makes my white iPad look dark, but it's still fairly bright. I really enjoy the combination.

I wouldn't cheap out on the smart cover, the apple Made product is nice

14. pbateman.as macrumors member

pbateman.as

+1 for the Incase Magazine Jacket. I just picked it up Friday night and I think my search is over. Smart Cover functionality and back protection plus it offers a 3rd viewing angle, which is excellent. I have an Incase Magnetic Snap Case coming as well, but I think the Magazine Jacket is the winner.

Also liked the Griffin Intellicase for slimness and functionality, but the 3rd viewing angle won it for the Magazine Jacket.

15. konicky macrumors member

It's hard to say what will work best for you without trying them all. On another forum I read, they recommend these back covers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superstore-...1C60/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1333059771&sr=8-6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iTALKonline...7240/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1333060008&sr=8-7

combined with the Apple Smart Cover.

This would seem like the most flexible solution but I am still tempted by leather folio covers like the StilGut ones which should be available in the next few days.

16. ModestMoo thread starter macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

Just bought an a back gel case with the smart cover for 13. Yup, thats fake, do you think it will work still good? I mean no scratches and stuff like that?

17. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Just buy the AppleCare + and pay to replace the scratched iPad every year.

18. geoelectric macrumors 6502

geoelectric

AppleCare+ doesn't cover cosmetic damage.

19. ivada macrumors member

What are those 2 protrusions on the back of the case? They look horrible! And don't they raise up the ipad (and not in a good/stable way) when it's just lying flat on a desk?

20. Maziar macrumors 6502

I had the same dilemma and after searching for hours,I ended up buying STM Skinny
    http://www.eoutlet.co.uk/STM-Skinny-3-Case-Stand-For-iPad-3-Black/
    It's got good reviews and is reasonably priced

21. BornRight, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

BornRight macrumors newbie

I'm in the same conundrum. Every type of case has drawbacks and ultimately it comes down to personal preference. These are the major options you have:

1. Folio cases

Advantages
    All-in-one solution, all-round protection, relatively cheap

Disadvantages
    Can be bulky.
    Gets in the way, especially when you want to hold the iPad in landscape mode with both hands, like while playing racing games. You will have to either hold the flap against the back or let it dangle freely. Both are annoying.
    In some cases, the iPad sits too much inside the folio so that accessing its ports become difficult.

2. Smart Cover + Back Shell

Advantages
    Flexibility of usage. Smart Cover can be attached or detached as required.
    One smart cover can be used with several different back shells or vice versa.
    Back Shells typically have form-fitting design, so all ports are readily accessible.

Disadvantages
    Smart Cover is expensive and it can get displaced easily.
    Back shells typically leave an area on the left edge exposed to accommodate the Smart Cover.

3. Smart Cover + Back Shell that locks the cover in place

Advantages
    Back Shell locks the Smart Cover in place and prevents it from displacing.

Disadvantages
    Smart Cover is not removable on its own, so it will get in your way when you want to hold the iPad with your hands in portrait or landscape mode.

4. Smart Cover + Back Shell with Magnets

Advantages
    Holds the Smart Cover behind the iPad without you having to physically hold it in place.

Disadvantages
    Magnetic back shells can be expensive than ordinary ones.
    Backside magnets may inadvertently put your iPad to sleep when the Smart Cover is folded backwards.

5. Rotating Cases

Advantages
    Offers several viewing choices such as portrait mode.

Disadvantages
    Adds bulk and has the problems of folio cases in general.

Apart from this, each brand may have its own issues, such as the sleep/wake function not working properly or in some cases a strong chemical smell. Some Back Shells leave areas on the top & bottom exposed. There are some brands that offer cases mimicing the Apple Smart Cover. These are cheaper but the cover itself may not fold properly or lie flat on the iPad as well as the Smart Cover does.

I'm personally leaning towards the 2nd option because it provides the flexibility to remove the top cover as & when I desire. I may use a Neoprene sleeve to give added protection while transporting the iPad in a backpack.

22. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I bought iFrogz Summit and Belkin Cinema Stripe Folio and really like both of them. I've tried lots of different cases with iPads over the past three years (Otterbox, Smart Cover (which I returned), back covers, and various folio cases) and have to say for my uses folio is best option. That being said, I want to buy the Zagg Keyboard case but will wait for a sale price as $99 is pretty stiff IMO. I wouldn't use it as an everyday case bit it would be nice when I needed it.

23. pbateman.as macrumors member

pbateman.as

They are used to lock the cover in place in 2 of the viewing positions. Not my favorite (wish they used magnets) but I like the flexibility of the additional viewing position. I am waiting for the Magnetic Snap Case to arrive this week since it uses magnets and I might go to that with a Smart Cover.