What case for a Shure owner?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JMBNaples, Sep 21, 2012.

1. JMBNaples macrumors newbie

I have Shure 535 headphones. Put simply, they have a fat plug. It's a mini plug, but is wider than the iPhone 5. Any case recommendations? Most cases I saw in the stores today (like the Speck Candy Shell) do not work. The hole for headphone is just too small. In the past, on my iphone 4, I used soft cases like the Otterbox Impact or cut out the plastic parts near the headphone jack of the Commuter.

To protect the phone I picked up a Rocketfish hard shell that has nothing on the bottom. However, I would prefer some more protection.

I am hoping the Commuter will work again, but they had none in the stores.

Thoughts? Thanks.

2. rickyislazy macrumors newbie

I am also looking for a case with a larger opening around the headphone port for my studio headphones.

3. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure they just don't exist, I've looked around a lot. I'll end up cutting a bigger hole in mine too.

4. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

Would you measure that plug? We're all musicians at Twig, and want our cases to work with nicer headphones. Our current earphone jack hole is 7.3mm which fits all the headphones, and earbuds I've tried, with room to spare.

Haven't had my hands on the 535 'phones though. :)

As we're finalizing our design for the iPhone 5, I'll have a look and see if we can't accommodate that.

5. JMBNaples thread starter macrumors newbie

I will measure it for you this evening.

I have the Rocketfish hard shell on it now. Offers no protection. I chatted online with otterbox. They could not provide pics of the bottom of the new Commuter. Disappointing.

6. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

Hey did ya measure that plug yet? This aint a one way street, buddy. ;)

7. ML237 macrumors newbie

Same problem here ...

I am looking the same for my SE535 so i just measured the jack is over +9cm wide. I usually used 2 piece plastic top/back over wrap around silicone cases around the bottoms/tops of various (ipod/phone) cases which I would then have to "trim" to cut around for true flush fitment.

I am ordering http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00993E8B6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00993E8B6&linkCode=as2&tag=6458422537-20 Rearth one cause I am guessing it will fit until I find something else more suitable.

In the case that doesn't work well then its on to the leather pocket kind cases (which will do nothing for me when needed for gym/run workouts). The other more radical option is to "justify" ordering new hi end cables (Baldur MkII) but you will probably have the same issues with the Neutrik L shape jack as well.

8. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

Swell - I'm guessing you mean 9mm, and not 9 cm ;)
    I'll have a look and see what I can do.

9. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

I use an adapter like this. LINKY I have Shure SE215's and it works just great for me.

10. ML237 macrumors newbie

Yup of course you're right meant mm looking forward to hearing what you will come up with.

----------

Sorry to disagree that is just horrible both due to insubordinate length which causes serious problems from a functional portable standpoint and then IMO subpar quality wise (both audio & location).

11. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

So best solution is just to go naked with the iPhone 5/5S?

12. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

Pretty much - the iPhone 5/5s is about 7.70mm thick. Our headphone jack port is a tiny bit smaller than that.

A plastic case is either going to have to have an open bottom clip on sort of thing, or just be a giant thick double quarter pounder sandwich of stuff.

13. gs28, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

gs28 macrumors member

14. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

15. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a