Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Wow. Truly awful. I hope they get everything sorted for you.

No kidding. I would never give my business to that company again. I would politely ask for a refund and look elsewhere. That QC is embarrassing, especially from a typically well regarded company like Tech21.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
I like the tech21 as it shows off the matte black better. In terms of protection, specks fits well and as the name implies, has a nice grip. Here's a couple more pictures...

Also just applied a dbrand orange skin that looks awesome with the matte black.
(that orange skin looks fantastic!)

thanks of the info. i can now add my own thoughts on the matter of cases now that i've tried four...

- Tech21 Evo Mesh: it really showed off the black matte nicely as you suggest. and it seemed to offer huge amounts of protection. the fit and finish of the lower part of the case wasn't perfect (not as bad the pictures above for the 7plus). what i didn't like (although correctable) is the "grid" leaves a pattern on the matte finish (this can, thankfully, be removed by wiping firmly with a microfiber cloth). while a nice case, i think i should expect more from a $40 case.
- Speck Grip: i got to handle my friend's on a 7plus. seemed a little thicker than the Tech21 (maybe 1 mm). i thought the buttons were a significant improvement over the Tech21. if i were looking for a grippy, very protective case, this is probably the one i'd get/keep.

i also got to try (and actually now own):

- Apple Leather case (long story, but got for free): more akin to what i'm used to (e.g., Belkin Sheer Grip with iPhone 5 and Insignia's TPU case for my iPhone 6); i'm not a true minimalist case guy, but something slimmer than the Tech21/Spec... the leather case is slicker than i would like, but am improvement over the naked phone. the buttons were wonderful.
- Luvitt Clear Grip TPU: i picked this guy up for $4.50 using a promotion code and in spite of some problems*, i am so impressed. the buttons work really well, the fit and finish is excellent. it won't offer nearly as much protection as the Speck or Tech21 (10ft), but is spec'd to handle 4 ft which should be enough for my needs. i think this may be my go to case. even at Amazon's $12.99 regular price ($30 retail) this is a super case. it makes me surprised how few cases have nice buttons like this an the Apple case.

* my case from Amazon arrived dirty/sticky/slightly scratched. Kudos to Luvitt for promptly addressing this issue and sent another one my way (hasn't arrived yet). the only thing i'm bummed about is the gray/black transparent ends up looking purple in direct/outdoor sunlight. indoors the case is gray and transparent enough to show off the phone in a subtle way. they do make a clear version which i might spring for at some point although the customer support suggest that one would still get a purple hue due to "prism effects" (i don't necessarily believe or agree with this). it is a fingerprint magnet and will likely show scratches in time (noting the scratches that were already there without me using it). but for the price, even if end up hating the scratches and unable to get used the purple hue, its a great case for the money.

Reactions: philliez98

ctnguye3

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
I just received my case from vaja, the quality of the leather and case is fantastic (took 2 weeks to ship even though on the site it said 4 weeks) but now I have buyer's remorse.

I brought a cheap TPU case from Amazon for about $10 while I was waiting for my vaja case, now that I have both case, I actually prefer the slimness and grippy soft texture of the TPU case...not to mention the huge price difference. I have 14 days to return the vaja case so I'm going to use it for a couple days before I make my final decision but right now I'm leaning towards returning it.
Photo Oct 03, 5 36 48 PM.jpg Photo Oct 03, 6 48 14 PM.jpg Photo Oct 03, 6 48 22 PM.jpg Photo Oct 03, 6 48 38 PM.jpg Photo Oct 03, 7 07 43 PM.jpg

Reactions: MaxBga and Jerel

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
I just received my case from vaja, the quality of the leather and case is fantastic (took 2 weeks to ship even though on the site it said 4 weeks) but now I have buyer's remorse.

I brought a cheap TPU case from Amazon for about $10 while I was waiting for my vaja case, now that I have both case, I actually prefer the slimness and grippy soft texture of the TPU case...not to mention the huge price difference. I have 14 days to return the vaja case so I'm going to use it for a couple days before I make my final decision but right now I'm leaning towards returning it.
View attachment 662629 View attachment 662630 View attachment 662631 View attachment 662632 View attachment 662633

Whoa, that case looks really good.

db0227

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a minimal case that has exact speaker cutouts like this, but I'm not interested in the ultra-thin 0.35mm cases out there. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: Power Support isn't shipping its new Air Jacket until 10/28, so I'd love to find something else before then because nearly two months after launch is unacceptable IMO.

UPYC-82-4__22526.1421354009.1280.1280.jpg

woozor1

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2015
Uk
I got the speck presidio grip in black. Great case nice and slim great protiection and grip a winner for my 7 plus.

gissentml

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2010
so the Thin Fit is finally available...

103bb2c2e5334241987be110b92dae17.png

the fuller coverage Elago are on their way...

be7f5bb4c3bf4bd1e450c1bea56090f8.png

and I have some cheapo eBay ones coming in that are similar to the Elago, but with no branding and the Apple logo showing through slightly...

3b03ed64ab8a02c6dec8c6656f4549f0.png

Links to the Ebay one?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a minimal case that has exact speaker cutouts like this, but I'm not interested in the ultra-thin 0.35mm cases out there. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: Power Support isn't shipping its new Air Jacket until 10/28, so I'd love to find something else before then because nearly two months after launch is unacceptable IMO.

UPYC-82-4__22526.1421354009.1280.1280.jpg
Have you checked out Incipio's iPhone 7 offerings?

db0227

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2015
Minneapolis, MN

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG
Peel case should be here in a few days; had a Spigen crystal clear case, but this one just arrived via UPS

I like it, and love the fact that their leather cases have progressively gotten better. (7 Plus vs. 6S Plus version)

IMG_0039.JPG

Reactions: Ryxmd

MikeyMacintosh

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
California
I purchased it DIRECTLY from the official Tech21 website! It came from them. I have sent in a support claim with these photos. My guess, they made these by specs, and didn't have the phone in hand yet. I'm willing to bet in a couple of months, a perfect version will be available. By then, I'll have found something else, sadly.

Went to Best Buy a couple days ago. Saw the Evo Elite and saw it had a similar issue. Passed on it. Went the safe route with Speck Presidio Grip, and the Protective Platinum case Best Buy stocks.
[doublepost=1475704134][/doublepost]
View attachment 663242 View attachment 663241 View attachment 663238 View attachment 663237 Peel case should be here in a few days; had a Spigen crystal clear case, but this one just arrived via UPS

I like it, and love the fact that their leather cases have progressively gotten better. (7 Plus vs. 6S Plus version)

View attachment 663244

Nice! I have a $25 gift card for Apple, either going for the Tan color way or Sea Blue. Stuck in between the two.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I just got my Peel case, and have to say that I am extremely disappointed. The shipment was delayed, reportedly because of "demand" for the product... but it's cheap, flimsy and not even of the quality of the $10 Elago case on Amazon.

This one is going back to Peel.

Winryito

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2015
Thinking of getting this.

Lol, but in all seriousness I got the apple silicon case. White one to go against my jet black, the contrast is beautiful.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 148
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.