What case is thin yet protective?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by flipangle, Jul 8, 2010.

1. flipangle macrumors regular

May 11, 2010
    Looking for a case for my iPhone 4. In the past, I used the Speck Pixelskin for my 3G. It was very protective but a little on the chunky side. What do you guys recommend as a good compromise between thinness and protectiveness? I want something that is somewhat protective against an accindental drop but not too thick. Thanks.
  2. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2010
    Somewhere Sunny, California
    I like TPU material cases. They aren't thick, and they offer great protection, and unlike Silicone, they don't attract to lint... they slide in and out of your pocket easily. I don't have an iPhone 4, yet (waiting for the white) but here are some TPU cases that you might like.

Case-Mate Gelli Case:

iSkin Solo:
    http://www.iskin.com/iphone4/ (not out yet)

Belkin Grip Vue:
    http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=512159 (a great case for iPhone and iPad)

Those three are the only ones I can think of.
    There are cheap TPU cases allover eBay. If you want to try one out, get one off of there! Same material, lower price...no brand name.
  3. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Aug 29, 2007
    I have the Belkin Grip Vue. It's pretty thin and fits the phone so perfectly. It's similar to the material of an iskin solo fx. I had the fx on my 3G. This case is slimmer. I think the iPhone 4 should have a rubbery barrier on it instead of plastic since it's mostly glass. I'm surprised to be so happy with a case so early in the game of finding cases. It's one fault is the volume buttons are a little tough to use with it. Someone said they were going to cut the covers off the buttons but I haven't tried that.

Oh n the camera hole intefers with the flash like most cases that came out so quickly. I never use flash so I forget about it
  4. flipangle thread starter macrumors regular

May 11, 2010
    I have the Belkin for my iPad. I have to admit that it is very nice material. I'm just afraid it will be too bulky.
  5. draz macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2010
    This is true
  6. dgreen1069 macrumors newbie

Jul 6, 2010
    I had the Belkin Vue and really liked it. Like you I noticed the buttons were a bit stiff to operate, but it was a minor quirk that I was willing to live with for the protection the case seemed to provide. The other problem I found with the Vue was with the flash. Like several other early production cases, the Vue causes flash photos to overdevelop. I called Belkin, but the help desk in India had no idea what I was complaining about. They kept repeatedly asking me if the case fit properly. I hate out of country call centers!!!!

If Belkin releases an updated version of the Vue that does not interfere with the camera and it's flash, I will surely buy it. I really liked the material.
  7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Jul 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
  8. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2010
    Belkin Grip Vue is terrible. I have it.it looks so ugly. It turned from clear to yellow in a week.
  9. flipangle thread starter macrumors regular

May 11, 2010
    Yeah, I did notice that problem with my iPad's Vue.
  10. flipangle thread starter macrumors regular

May 11, 2010
  11. Swampthing macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2004
  12. slewis1972 macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2010
    I love the look of the case-mates but does anyone know if I fit a zagg, will the case still fit?
  13. slewis1972 macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2010
    I like the look of the case-mate but I will also protect my iphone with a zagg. Does anyone know if the case-mate will still fit?
  14. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Jun 16, 2003
    it's decent

Ordered a couple of these not the black as pictured here from the vendor.
    It's a good case, two pieces, but the plastic is somewhat cheap and here's an issue.

Just try to take it off. You will break nails trying to pry it apart. There are two whole piece the back and the front. Once it's on, it's like death trying to get it apart.

Since the top drops on, there's no problem with a best skins ever added. But man I finally figured out how to open it.

You have to try to peel it from the bottom and get one of the edges to "pop" on the lower left corner. Then you have some leverage to get the others top connections off. It's the hardest to take apart I've ever seen.

Minsky is a good vendor though. He sends them out quickly with your order.
  15. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

Mar 29, 2007
  16. lorenwade macrumors 68000

Aug 27, 2008
    With cases named "Barely There" (Case-Mate) and "Nude" (SwitchEasy), it's not that farfetched!
  17. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Jul 9, 2010
  18. ccross macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2010
  19. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2008
    Bostonian exiled in SoCal
    Any update on this or the Gelli case? Has Case-Mate redone their Gelli case to address the flash issue?
  20. Autopilot638 macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2010
    Too hot in summer, too cold in winter
    If you liked the old PixelSkin, have you seen the new PixelSkin HD?

There are some good reviews on it here and I plan to get the blue one when available.