What case should I buy for the ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cococ, Oct 25, 2011.

1. cococ macrumors newbie

I am researching cases to buy for the ipad 2. I want a portfolio case with a kickstand if possible, though I am not sure. I am planning on using it for school. I would mainly be taking notes via keyboard or stylus. I would also be using it for leisure work.

I am a student, certainly a very poor! I want to buy a good quality and appearance case.
    Such as reading or playing games.

1. amazon
    -Nice notebook style, luxurious feeling, iPad 2 case.

2. apple
    -Like a smart cover, but it protects the back also.

3. ebay.com
    -Like #1, but custom.

4. ebelow
    -Nice, protective iPad case.

5. walmart
    -Etch-a-sketch style.

2. reaborg macrumors member

I have a clear acrylic case from amazon for $5 that is compatible with the smart cover. Not good for impact but works well against scratches. The case itself gets scratched easily.

I have the smart cover by apple. I also have a clear screen protector I bought from amazon for $9. Works really well.

If I am traveling with the iPad, I have another well made sleeve that I use that is also very inexpensive.

None of them are crush or impact resistant. But I don't plan on dropping my iPad.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

I got the leather smart cover (official one by Apple) from Amazon for around $48 brand new. I didn't get the back casing but you can... it's quite cheap (around $5).

4. secksthoi macrumors member

5. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

6. Catdogchicken macrumors regular

STM Skinny is on my iPad 2. Loving it, very strong, covers back and very thin.

clicky

7. martines macrumors newbie

Ever bought an ipad case on the up store ebelow. The ozaki icoat case is made of tannins materials in good touch feeling,stylish stylus and foldable multi-functional case. With straps,can be tied on shoulder,wrist,and car-head rest,easy to handle and easy to access the features of ipad.

8. AlkFoo macrumors member

I have been looking around for the most "protective" cover and has done a little research.

I've been narrowed it down to 2, for protective purposes in case I take out of the house (which I don't do often). The 2 that I narrowed it down to is the Otterbox and the Griffin Survivor.

I am really leaning towards the Survivor.

I love the my iPhone and iPad "naked"... they seem more magical that way, but the reality is, if an when I take them out, I want them protected...well, at least the iPad 2 (the 3GS, still is naked and is doing just fine...typical wear and tear, but no obvious damage or scratches)- again, leaning towards the Griffin "Survivor" (for full protection).

9. v2kea412, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

v2kea412 macrumors member

Case

I was also searching for something that was ideal for me, and was NOT impressed by those that I found at Best Buy, Wally World or Brookstone... I ended up getting the ion one...

http://store.carbonfibergear.com/ion-carbon-cover-ipad-2-case

LOVE IT! Protects the front, back and sides without silly adhesive goop...and it grippy enough to hold onto with out if slipping out of my hands...

EDIT: I also just checked out the Yoobao as earlier posted in this thread....that looks awesome as well....

10. jacob.schmidt macrumors member

11. jacob.schmidt macrumors member

12. siddavis macrumors member

13. medi.freak macrumors regular

I will get the iPad2 for christmas this year, and decided to go with this one:

Switcheasy Canvas

It keeps the iPad2 safe and does not add too much bulk to it. It looks very Notebook-like what I like very much. Oh: And it has the Smart Cover function =D

14. SolstroCken macrumors newbie

SolstroCken

Just received the Ebelow IPad 2 case, and it is perfect for my Ipad 2. First off it fits like a glove, and has a very solid feel. It also turns on/off the IPad when i open and close it. I've tried several cases, including the colored cases that ebelow sells, this is my looking for real protection, my better off buying this case.

15. Jen78, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

Jen78 macrumors newbie

Yoobao Case

After much research and a trial with a leather smart over (returned as I felt it offered very limited protection) I settled on the Yoobao executive leather cover. I have been using it since June and been very pleased with it.

I find it is much easier to hold than a naked iPad and it offers protection of the back and corners without being too bulky. It is wearing nicely and looks better and better the older it gets. I have found that the magnetic on/off feature is less reliable now than when it was new though.

I have the brown one and mostly just use it alone but for when it is going inside a bag with lots of other bits in I also use a cheap stretchy neoprene one I got from eBay as the Yoobao one can come open. It is not made to fit over the top but it just goes.

There are several version of this and I have the one with very neat corners. Also, forgot to say it has stands for both ways and I use both ways often. As this is achieved with just a little tab it adds less weight than a lot I looked at.

16. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

17. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

18. jonnymorris, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

jonnymorris macrumors member

Case-Mate Gelli

I have a Case-Mate Gelli case for my iPad, they also do them for iPad 2 and hope that they will do for the iPad 3 which I may well be buying this summer. It's like one of those self-healing cutting mats, quite soft, thick enough to protect from dings and scratches but not so thick that it adds any bulk to the iPad (it will still fit inside slip cases). The material also provides a lot of grip when held in the hand as it is slightly rubbery in feel (but has a shiny surface).

I wouldn't take my iPad anywhere without the Gelli case on, I just leave it on all the time. With iPad 3 coming out soon it's likely the Gelli iPad 2 cases will come down in price, time to grab a bargain! I bought two iPad Gelli cases for less than half the original price of one.

Oh and the fit is perfect! All the holes are in just the right place (on the iPad version, haven't tried the iPad 2), I hardly notice the case is there as far as accessing buttons goes.

I also have a cheap generic 11" Netbook Case Logic zip nylon case which the iPad goes in for travel, it provides minimal protection from falls but has a nice soft interior which is like having a microfibre cloth rub all the fingerprints off each time I pull it out.

19. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Marware

+1
    It also has a very handy loop so that you can hold your iPad2 in one hand securely. I use this all the time when I'm in bed typing emails, reading, etc.

20. Stig 704 macrumors newbie

Does the ZUM affect the Smart Cover's performance at all? Thanks in advance!