What case to buy for iphone and where?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauly1, Feb 22, 2014.

1. pauly1 macrumors regular

I will be getting an iphone 4 or 4s... most likely its going to be a 4s. Does anyone know where is the best place to buy a case for it or a cover?

I see they have those cheaper silicone cases that are a few bucks on ebay but that obviously isn't the right way to go right? I read most ppl get otter box cases? If so anyone know a good model for the 4 or 4s? And also where to get it at?

Amazon seems to not have anything for it when i search iphone 4 or iphone 4s case. It seems like ebay is the best option? I assume most of you spend 25-50 dollars for these cases to protect your iphone?

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Depends on how much you want protection or just style

An otterbox or lifeproof case will give you the best protection

I had an otterbox on my 4S great for falls but very bulky. On my 5S I have a life proof case which protects from falls and water and is more slim.

On my 3GS and 4S I only had hard cases from eBay, Marshall's etc and they worked good for basic desk protection not falls.

Another option is go naked.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've used an Incipio Frequency case on both my HTC One and my iPhone 5s. It's pretty nice but doesn't offer the same protection as an Otterbox or Lifeproof case. I used the Apple bumper case for a while on my old 4s.

For the most part I didn't use a case at all.

4. jr866gooner, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

What case to buy for iphone and where?

New to the apple system? I was the same last year with my iphone4!

Regarding case, I had a casemate tough, best case I've had on all my phones, except 5c as not willing to spend what it's priced at so far!

Edit>

Literally logged onto amazon not long after writing this to find it is £12 cheaper than it's ever been....so I've caved and continued my tradition of having casemate cases on each of my phones!

5. pauly1, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014

pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

Thoughts on this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Apple-i...DA_Cases&var=650121319881&hash=item58a2dbfd46

One other question i have.

I had a ipod touch 4th generation that i use a silicone case with.... it was just a few bucks for the caswe. I really liked the feel of it. Very soft.

However, i broke the ipod touch when i got very upset one time and threw it straight down on floor in the ground when i was outside... this was on where there is grass there so i had thought it wouldnt break. When i picked it up... the whole ipod touch screen was cracked. You can still turn it on but you cant pretty anything because of it.

My question is with these cases... that means if you drop it on the floor, the iphone wont break or crack right because these cases cover both the back of it and the screen as well? My silicone case only covered the back.

So what is the point of a silicone case then? Does it really protect your iphone screen if say i just drop the iphone on the ground and the screen hits the floor as oppose to the back on the iphone hitting the floor? Obviously if you throw an iphone straight to the cement ground with the screen facing it... it would shatter the glass. But to those of you who don't use any protection and just use the iphone as it is... does the screen ever crack? Or it only cracks if it drops from a high distance? I mean if you take phone out of pocket then drop it on the floor with no case, what happens?

What about when you have a silicone case that only covers the back of the iphone.

Im also starting to wonder... what is the purpose of a silicone case if it doesn't the screen of the iphone?

6. Msail30bay macrumors regular

Msail30bay

Check out --- Best Buy (in store and online) and Amazon…….. they not having it???

7. mripadmini macrumors regular

mripadmini

Otter box commuter series is a awsomw case to buy.

8. tubalores macrumors member

tubalores

This.

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Go to any Staples or Office Store or Marshalls or TJ Maxx and you will find a lot iPhone 4/4s in stock for about $10-less.

Marshalls has a lot of name brand 4s cases. I purchased a Mophie battery pack there for $10. I know they won't have that because they went fast.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I always found otter box to be way too chunky. But based on the case the OP linked, it may be right up his alley.

Why not go into best Buy? You can look at cases in person, and they will likely even let you try them on (if not, pick one you think you like, try it on, and if you don't like, just return right then and there). This si all assuming you are in the states, of course.

11. TribeFan1 macrumors regular

TribeFan1

Absolutely! When I had my 4 I had a plastic shell case, the commuter and the Otterbox Defender. I loved the defender, but the Commuter is by far the best case i had, and you can customize it with Coveroo. The included screen protector is great as well.

OP the link you provided is a knock off Otterbox Defender. Just go on amazon and buy the real thing if you want to go that route.
    http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defe...=UTF8&qid=1393420700&sr=8-3&keywords=otterbox

The warranty and customer service alone are worth the extra money for it, you won't get that with the knock off

12. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

13. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Speck candy she'll. it's thin so it doesn't add bulk and protects pretty well for everyday users

14. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it because its not as bulky as the defender series? The issue i have with this is i dont see a white/grey one on amazon...

----------

What do you mean by speck candy she'll?

Yes i like it thin and dont want a bulky one. This one looks pretty stylish dont you say?

I saw someone with an otterbox and it was very very bulky. I mean i dont mind getting an otterbox if its not bulky.

15. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

I have both the speck and the commuter and you can't go wrong either way. I like the speck because it's very thin and adds very little to the phone itself. It also protects from screen first drops as it has a small lip that doesn't let the screen touch the surface it falls onto. The commuter is the best of the otter box options IMO. It's slimmer than others and protects really well.

----------

This is what I mean

http://www.speckproducts.com/candyshell-for-iphone-4s.html

16. pauly1 thread starter macrumors regular

I took look at the spec. Its 35+tax but i dont really like the design of it in the back. Yea i figure otterbox commuter is better than defender because it is slimmer.

But would you say the one i have in the link would be good enough? I really like the gray/white design of it.

17. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

I've had a knock off. It'll be ok for drops but might leave some marks on the phone when you take it off. It doesn't leave any serious marks on the phone mostly marks you can rub off with your finger but the quality is not even close to the real thing

18. bobright macrumors 601

I have a frequency as well and while it obviously doesn't protect against spills it's handled every single drop an I've had quite a few on cement, the road, tile etc love it. I am giving my phone to my sister though going to get her a more "girly" case hopefully Incipio offers something.

19. Iphoneuserrr macrumors newbie

I use a clear gel case on my iPhone 5. Got it from amazon and had it on my IPhone for about 6 months now and it's done the job. Personally I think only you can chose which case you want, it's a personal preference.