What case works best with the iphone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MasonMI, Aug 3, 2008.

1. MasonMI macrumors regular

I'm picking up my iphone 3G 16GB tommorow at the AT&T store and i want to purchase a case for it, which cases are durable for the iphone 3G?

2. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

depends whats good for you.

Complete protection, or aesthetics.

I bought a sleeve case, the Sena Elega. I initially left ATT on the 11th with a silicone and plastic case, similiar to the capsule case, called incipio sylicrilic i beleive.

Anyways, I didn't like having my phone completely covered because so much of it to me is in the design. So I opted or a bodyguardz and the pouch. Now i feel safe about scratches and still can enjoy my phones design.

All said and done (not including the first case) i ended up spending like 65$ on the case/film. But it's worth it for ME anyways to protect my device until i'm ready to sell it and upgrade to the next best one.

Also this pic shows a iphone 2g but it DOES fit the 3g case. was snug for first week but it's loosened up nicely, still holds it snug but I can remove it pretty easily.

So this is what it looks like, and of course I have the bodyguardz as well.

[​IMG]

3. busterbluth macrumors 6502

I initially bought the contour flick from apple.com It is a very attractive case and works well, but I also had a bodygaurdz on my phone, which led to problems because it would peel away the corners (which took me 1/2 alone to get right). The only other issue I had was that it was very difficult to press the silent/sleep button, but I dont know if that is the case with everyone elses. Otherwise, Its very attractive and provides decent protection, just dont use it will a full body shield. It does not come with screen protector so I would buy one of those too.

I replaced it with the Incase Protective cover. I really like it, it provided complete protection and felt and looked great. The only problem is I ripped the thin piece that goes below the home button. Incase said they will gladly replace it, I just have to be carefull next time. I hope it works out well.

Thats my two cents, hope it helps...

4. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    Which case works best is a rather subjective question and should be based on your specific use, i.e., what will you do in a typical day that you are wishing to protect your iPhone from? Scuba diving? Rock climbing? Perhaps skyjumping? Personally, I will be subjecting my iPhone to a very hostile work environment, extremes in vibration, physical activity and ambient temperature. There exists vibration and physical shock hazard as well as contaminatioin from industrial compounds and solvents. I expect its case to be melted down into a subgrade resin within a fortnight. I purchased the elan Form case by Griffin. This case fits the iPhone 3G perfectly and has sustained some nasty scratches that would have scattered the otherwise unprotected device. I have also obtained an additional case by a company called "Texas Holdem's" from a local hardware store ($17.00). This will secure the iPhone to my belt in the hope of avoiding the dreaded drop. Which case will work best for you? Let us know what you choose and how it works out.

5. Hard-Hat-Mac macrumors regular

I also had this same issue with the flick case. It's pretty thin which i like, but it's too annoying to have to press hard to use the sleep/wake button.

I'm thinking about getting something else, but I really do like he white iphone naked.:)

6. Red Sox macrumors regular

Until they release the incase slider for the 3G, I'm using the incase protective cover. So far, I like it.

7. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

I got the griffin wave- it fits the iPhone great and looks great. The screen protector that it comes with is crap, but hey, the case is only $20 online, so it's not a problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I ordered this one on friday:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It comes in a bunch of colors and got an A- on a review from ilounge.com.

9. Inukami macrumors 6502

If you have the white iPhone i wouldn't go for a white capsule case, the arctic is a much better choice, looks great.

10. gibbz macrumors 68030

I have the Contour iSee. I am pretty happy with it and like the fact that the white back of my iPhone shows through.

11. timmciglobal macrumors member

12. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    ATTENTION: In my previous post on this thread, I stated I obtained a case from "Texas holdem's". This case has a MAGNETIC CLASP!!!! PLEASE disregard the recommendation. Let this post serve as a WARNING. After purchasing and using the Texas Holdem's case, I went to the AT&T store and was told that magnets are killing iPhones. I 86'd the old case and am searching for a suitable replacement. The Griffin elan Form case is really great kit and a keeper, but the hardware store case has to go because of the potential magnet problem. The AT&T guy said that people are even putting magnets into cases that do not need them as a twisted way to zap the devices of unsuspecting iPhone users. This is one very strong reason to buy ONLY cases that are made specifically for the iPhone. Be careful with the case you choose.

13. prosperousyogi macrumors newbie

views on carbon fibre cases?

Hi all,
    I am paranoid about dropping my iphone 3g ... knowing it would cost close to $1000 to replace.

My preferred case was the carbon fibre case with neoprene lining from www. belchco.com, which weighed only 8 grams. But despite their statement on the web that the 3G case will come out in early July ... nothing. And I can't call their 1-800 number because it doesn't work from Canada.

So I am considering the 3G Casemate "Carbon-Fibre Leather Case" as the next-best alternative.

Does anybody have any reasoned views on that case; particularly, is my preference for cushioned carbon-fibre rational? (i.e. would you agree it has the best "survive when dropped" protection, for low weight? -- rubberized cases tend to weigh more than the phone).

The ProsperousYogi

Mac Mini 1.83 GHz (2006)
    MBA
    IPhone 3G 16 GB

14. Carpe Deez macrumors member

HAHAHA, come on man, you have to be kidding. Are you 90 years old, or one of these guys?

[​IMG]

15. 645ci macrumors member

16. Carpe Deez macrumors member

Close, I'm one of these:

[​IMG]

Nevertheless, that case is really, really lame. No one in my office would be caught dead with that thing, although we are all mostly under 60 years of age.