Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Waiting for cases with trifold front cover and full coverage flexible TPU back. In the meantime, I expect I'll pick up a SmartFolio clone from Amazon.

meDANOcine

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I got the new OtterBox case available on Apple’s website for the 11” model. It has a retractable holder for your pencil, love it!

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Probably try and get an official folio pre-owned from eBay or something. Or ESR something as I've had their stuff before

And the magic keyboard when I can get discount.

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
I ordered both of the following cases. Couldn’t decide and I liked them both!

https://www.amazon.com/Koogmoon-Genuine-Leather-Any-Angle-inch(Black)/dp/B093DD3M4Y/ref=sr_1_20?crid=2YT6L91JGY2W2&dchild=1&keywords=ipad%2Bpro%2B12.9%2B2021%2Breal%2Bleather%2Bcase&qid=1619817696&sprefix=iPad%2BPro%2B2021%2Bleather%2Bcase%2B12.9%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-20&th=1

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
I usually have my 11” Pro in the Zagg Slim Keyboard case, which has a great kickstand at the back for standing up, and protects the ipad extremely well.

Although Zagg hasn’t released anything yet, so I’ve went for the Logitech 12.9” Combo touch Keyboard Case, which actually just went live for ordering today also (11” was already available)

BB.King

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
London UK
Going to use Magic keyboard from 2018 12.9 iPad Pro. Hopefully there will be some YouTube videos soon showing compatibility.

Reactions: slplss

leebroath

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
The new $229 Logitech Combo Touch Keyboard Case with Trackpad, probably.

$120 less than Magic Keyboard for iPP 12.9. The keyboard is magnetically detachable, the case always provides protection.

Which is perfect for my needs, I don’t always want the keyboard attached, and I always need the iPad protected :)

When I’m in bed or sitting at a table, I can use the kickstand which is great!

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Which is perfect for my needs, I don’t always want the keyboard attached, and I always need the iPad protected :)

When I’m in bed or sitting at a table, I can use the kickstand which is great!
Yeah even my much cheaper Galaxy Tab S5e rests in Spigen Rugged Armor, I would be insane not to give iPP some protection. Plus I figured I could use a keyboard too.

This looks like another collaboration between Logitech and Apple, it should be quality. Not as fancy as the Magic Keyboard solution, but more protection on the edges for a more reasonable price. I think it will be more stable on a lap too.

Danae02

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2020
Reactions: Laps51

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
this looks fantastic, didn't realize the keyboard was detachable.
Yeah looking for Magic Keyboard alternatives I first found about the previous gen. It wasn't detachable and had the pencil flap.
Video of the previous gen
MacRumors review of the previous gen

Wanted to check it out in Apple Online Store only to find a new gen. The detachable keyboard is a great improvement and it looks better without the flap! The trackpad and the connector apparently uses Apple tech, so it should be comparable with Magic Keyboard in that sense.

more images https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/ipad-keyboards/combo-touch-ipad.html?crid=1762

Last edited:
Reactions: skidu

skidu

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
Yeah looking for Magic Keyboard alternatives I first found about the previous gen. It wasn't detachable and had the pencil flap.
Video of the previous gen
MacRumors review of the previous gen

Wanted to check it out in Apple Online Store only to find a new gen. The detachable keyboard is a great improvement and it looks better without the flap! The trackpad and the connector apparently used Apple tech, so it should be comparable with Magic Keyboard in that sense.

Yeah i've got the slim folio pro, looks like this improves on it in every way possible. Was tempted to get the Magic Keyboard just because this current case is so bulky but the detachable option has sold it for me.

BlindBandit

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
yh just curious. I normally get the Mous case but that’s not available until August so need something until then

Yeah, I've got a Mous phone case and airpods case and I want to get one of their ipad cases one. But August is such a long wait. I will probably grab something thats reasonably protective or a clear case.

Last edited:

brsilb

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2018
Going with Brydge 12.9 Max+. Now it used magnets instead of the old style clamps. $100 less than Apple. Not shipping til June though.

Reactions: jazz1 and slplss

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Going with Brydge 12.9 Max+. Now it used magnets instead of the old style clamps. $100 less than Apple. Not shipping til June though.
That one looks amazing too, way more rigid than the one I know with the hinge sliding mechanism. Only downside it doesn't use Apple's Smart Connector so the touchpad is wireless. The keyboard could be something else though.

ShaunFrancis

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Conwy
I am still debating magic keyboard or smart folio, I like the idea of having a keyboard but dont like that you cant fold it back. Please someone tell me which one to get haha, I have cancelled my magic keyboard as its the black and thats due this week, but I want to try it out and maybe return it.

brsilb

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2018
That one looks amazing too, way more rigid than the one I know with the hinge sliding mechanism. Only downside it doesn't use Apple's Smart Connector so the touchpad is wireless. The keyboard could be something else though.
Uses bluetooth so it is wireless. The bluetooth on my old brydge used bluetooth and worked great with no lag. Magnets will make it easier on and off. Downside is no pass through charging.

l3uddz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014

MacMandy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
I’ve ordered the Magic Keyboard in white (I’ll probably put a dBrand skin on it) and a Navy Smart Folio that has already arrived. This is the setup I had on my 11” pro (black MK and Cactus folio) and I was really happy with it. That iPad is being passed on to my husband. Educational discount helps!

Robcat101

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2017
UK
I purchased an open box Genuine Apple Smart Folio in the color I wanted for about 55% off on Amazon a week or so ago. Took a gamble that it would fit the new 12.9 and it seems that gamble will pay off.
It looks like a bit of a gamble wrt earlier SFs - until we get the devices, there‘s no way of knowing.

I have a 2nd gen, so no idea what the 3-4th look like. I think the camera cluster is different on the 3rd, so although 4th gen compatible may be backwards compatible with 3rd, it doesn’t look like it works the other way round. A lot of the really cheap genuine Apple ones on eBay are 3rd gen, so presumably the camera on the 5th gen would be an issue. The question I guess, is whether the 4th and 5th are close enough to mean it doesn’t matter, as long as it’s 4th gen compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.