Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Either the fan or the computer processor is making loud sounds "like what a room fan would make" why is this?

13inch mid 2010 macbook
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Either the fan or the computer processor is making loud sounds "like what a room fan would make" why is this?

13inch mid 2010 macbook
The processor makes no sound. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources and driving up temps. iStat Pro will give you accurate readings on temperatures and fan speeds. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

13inch mid 2010 macbook

It could be your motherboard. I have the same computer and a couple months after I got it I noticed that the fan would go on and off constantly and it was so LOUD. I called AppleCare (when I had it) and they told me that it was a faulty motherboard. One thing you could do before calling AppleCare is do an Apple Hardware Test.

HOW TO: On an Intel based Mac, insert Mac OS X Install disc 1 that came with your Mac to your Mac, and hold letter D at boot. This will load it to the hardware test. After language selection, use ctrl-L keyboard combination to get it to loop mode, and select extended test, and let it run at least for a few hours. You can end the test with the same keyboard combo, or it will stop if it finds an error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.