What causes a non-functioning human interface!!??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Nov 18, 2010.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

So after about three years of travelling, my almost perfectly formed Intel based MacBook Pro started falling apart at the seems, though it's not what you'd think...

This morning after waking the machine from sleep the missing keyboard window decided to popped up, not something I'd expect from a laptop! And if you think that's bad, the mouse one appeared right after!!

So I can only guess the damn trackpad packed in:eek: resulting to a non-functioning keyboard:( ; and to verify, the USB device has vanished from the system profiler along with the preference control panel!!! Thankfully Apple had some sense, they didn't wire everything through the trackpad as the blue-tooth and power button still functions!! Phew!!

Though, Initially I thought about hunting the likes of fleabay for a really cheap topcase, or possible parts but not necessary my model. Not tried it yet but I think it'll be possible to remove the trackpad with the aid of a warm hair-dryer, softening the industrial sticky tape allowing easy extraction without damage! However, now I'm discovering checking fleabay for parts might not be as useful as I first thought, simply cause after removing the screws and topcase I'm discovering the hardware failures ain't as straight forward as I first thought... As strange it might be, the root of the problem seems to be coming from the chinese manufactured logic-board, yet non of the parts appear to be toast nor is there a odd smell...

Now I'm not sure should I even attempt to replace the thing, seeing as the machine works fine with an external keyboard and mouse. Does anyone have any suggestions, should it be sold as parts??? Should i consider changing the logicboard, if so... how much are they?

2. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

3. tigress666 macrumors 68040

At least on the macbook (I have a three year old Macbook) the trackpad is wired to the keyboard and the keyboard connects to the motherboard.

You can disconnect the trackpad and the keyboard will still work (but not vice versa).

I know this cause I've taken mine apart before and we've removed trackpad to experiment with something (the area around the button was bent so even resting your palms on the palmrest resulted in a button click <- bought the topcase off of ebay and the guy didn't package it well so it got bent. I had disconnected it so you had to have an external mouse so you wouldn't have accidental button clicks. But then we fixed the problem by bending it back (when we figured out that was why button clicks).

4. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

This MBP is way past it's apple care expiry, purchased back in april 2007 you do the maths.

5. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Fixed...my opinion:

Put Old Yeller down, get a new(er) one, swap the drive out so you can pick up where you left off.

Even if a used model from Craigslist or something. If they have to do anything with the logic board the cost at this point is going to rival the price you'd have paid for a replacement machine.

6. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Eh?
    Why swap out the drive?[​IMG]

Yeah, I've come to the same conclusion... :eek:

So naturally I'm wonder would removing the head and optical, replacing the later with a spare opti-bay & HD then soft-raiding the unit make it a withy server? Or not? OR would it be better flogging the thing for parts?

7. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

I say parts. Or find peeps who buy broken MacBooks, they're all over.

You swap the drive to keep all of your stuff. Or you can do a clean backup and restore to the new drive, whatever.