What causes trackpad jumping and text deleting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NJRonbo, Sep 12, 2016.

1. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Been having this issue for a long time across various MacBook Pros (as I upgrade every new model that arrives).

Typing in a forum like this. Posting a long message and suddenly, the trackpad jumps and chunks of text that I write suddenly disappear.

I watch the placement of my palms on the laptop. They are not touching the trackpad. However, time after time I find typewritten text deleted because something interferes with the trackpad and the cursor jumps and deletes text.

Is there some selection in the trackpad settings that maybe need adjusting?

Thanks for your help.

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

I have 4 offices that I work in, plus my home. I experience what you're describing both when my Mac is on a 2.4GHz wifi network and/or BT is on and there's a cheap (nee not insulated) USB 3 cable on my desk. I often use a BT keyboard (Logitech K811) and Apple Trackpad with my rMBP (I use mid-2012 or late-2013 units), but not always. I'm not the only one, nor is it a Mac issue - several of the PCs in my company go through this too.

I also use a Logitech Edge UC headset. When it's on and a phone call comes in my keyboard - either the K811 or the built-in keyboard (if BT is on) goes nuts, typing random characters or, as you'd experienced, deleting work - not cool when I'm trying to meet a deadline... :mad:

I (we) now segregate our wifi networks into 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies and connect to the latter in our offices and I do the same at my house. I keep my BT headset at least 10 feet from my laptop when it's on. We bin (throw out) the stock USB 3 cables that came with the product I bought and buy only quality cables now. No more headaches or dancing cursors!

And, no more need to set aside $250 an hour for therapy now. I hope this bit helps.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

It's usually caused by either your thumbs or palms inadvertently hitting the touchpad.