what CD-RW drive for a PowerMac G4?

muzikool

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I've been asked to install an internal CD-RW drive to replace the CD-ROM drive in a PowerMac G4. Everything I'm coming across is external. Where do I find an internal one that is compatible? Plus, it would be a good bonus if it came with Mac-compatible software (Toast Lite or something).

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
muzikool said:
I've been asked to install an internal CD-RW drive to replace the CD-ROM drive in a PowerMac G4. Everything I'm coming across is external. Where do I find an internal one that is compatible? Plus, it would be a good bonus if it came with Mac-compatible software (Toast Lite or something).
Go to www.xlr8yourmac.com and search their database, they'll most likely have a review of someone who replaced your model's CD-ROM drive with a combo drive. What model PowerMac G4 is it?

Direct link to the database: http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
ChrisFromCanada said:
Any generic drive should be fine.
Not necessarily. When I switched out my Yikes G4's stock DVD-ROM drive with a Combo I had to shop around for the "most compatible" drive, and even then I can't boot from CD by holding down the C key at startup, and couldn't burn from the Finder under 10.2 and 10.3 (needed to use Toast). And that was the MOST compatible drive I could find as of a couple years ago. Who knows if any of that has changed with 10.4, I use my iBook now.

From my experience, I would advise you to read the user reports before you switch out the drive.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
ChrisFromCanada said:
Any generic drive should be fine.
This is true, just goto your trusted local dealer, or somewhere online. If the Finder doesn't support the drive for Disc Burn, or iTunes won't let you burn cds, you can just download Patchburn and it solves all your problems.

Either way a generic drive will be able to read and work just fine. It will work fine with Toast in every way, and Toast is an essential burning application.

muzikool

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
I forgot to mention that the Mac is running OS9. I've added an external burner to a G4 running OS9, but never an internal. Also, the owner has no use for a DVD burner, though that price is really great. :)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I'd still like to know, what model PowerMac G4 is this? Yikes? Sawtooth? Digital Audio? I can't imagine it being much newer than that and have 9 running as the primary OS.

Edit: Plus, the fact that it originally had a CD-ROM drive would date it to around one of these models.