What changes will the average user see with Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Boesky, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, all users will get the added hard drive space. Most users will see a faster OS. Not that searching would have come up with those answers.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Cool new exposé features and a new desktop background.

There have also been some changes to stacks.

4. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

5. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

6. joehahn macrumors regular

yea, it takes up less space than leopard, so you'll have a few more gb's

7. P Mentior macrumors regular

From what I hear it also shows harddrive space with a slightly different number system so it will appear that there is more space but it is just measured differently.

(Example) currently a 500Gb HDD shows up as around 465Gb because the drive manufacture measures 1 Gb as 1000Mb while 10.5 measures it as 1024Mb. In 10.6 it will be measured as 1Gb = 1000Mb
    (This may not be entirely accurate but it is the general concept from what I have heard from the betas so it may have changed)

8. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Which sucks! to me, a GB (not Gb, that's a gigabit) will always be 1024 MB, however the hard disc manufacturers refer to 1 GB as 1000 MB, and the old-school GB has become GiB, or Gibibyte

Also, PPC code has been removed too, all except from the kernel, right?

9. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Most of what SL is all about, is a vehicle to get Grand Central into your Mac. Sure, there's a little eye candy, a few improved features, Exchange support (which I realllllly want because Entourage sucks Vulcan gonads), etc etc... but GC is the gem. You may not notice anything in 10.6.0... but stay tuned for 10.6.1, and especially the newer apps compiled and optimized to take advantage of GC.

It's going to be Fun!!!

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It'll start reading hard drives in 1000MB vs 1024MB, and it saves up a few gigs of space due to the OS size being smaller vs leopard

11. embedded macrumors newbie

But Outlook for the Mac is only 14 or 15 short months away! That'll solve all our problems.