Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
As the title says? I'm looking to save some money by not eating out every day. I live in cubicle city, but I have access to a microwave, fridge, freezer, and sink. What do you guys take to work that's not a peanut butter sandwich?

-Evan

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
With a microwave available, you are pretty much in luck! I used to tote leftover stir fried veggies and rice that had been made for dinner the night before... or home made chicken or lentil soup that I would make in quantity and freeze in smaller containers, stuff like that. If I was going to work late into the evening, I would sometimes make simple nachos for supper out of busted taco shells, some microwave-melted cheese and salsa. Lots cheaper than pizza.

ikermalli

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
Bologna (2 slices) in a Bagel
Breaded Chicken Breasts in bread
Sidekicks Pasta
McDonalds :p

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
My favourite was always couscous combined with anything in the fridge. Tuna/salmon were favourites then bulked out with mushrooms, peppers etc You can do a lot with couscous, mmmmm
Or pasta salads you make at home. You can make some amaazing salads.
Or pitta breads filled with chicken and salad and stuff.

If it's not obvious I only have a fridge at my work :rolleyes:

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Sesame Chicken or Chicken Pot Pies from Stouffers.

Any Frozen meals from Zatarain's.

Hot Pockets.

All of the above are pretty good, but they get so boring after a month or two of eating the same stuff every week.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Here is one of my favorite lunches:
Needed:
One Tupperware container, that can fit a salad in it
One bag of shredded cole slaw (it comes without dressing)
One can of tuna, or a bunch of cooked chicken breast (I buy it at Whole Foods from the salad bar)
One bottle of salad dressing (I use Newman's Own light honey mustard)
Cottage cheese (if you like it)

I would put enough salad in the Tupperware, and then drain the can of tuna and put it in a ziplock (or the chicken), and put some cottage cheese in another ziplock. I would then put the ziplocks in the Tupperware, seal it, and then bring that and the bottle of dressing with me to work.

When it's time to eat, I take out the ziplocks, empty the tuna/chicken into the salad, put some dressing on, seal it and shake. Then, I would put the cottage cheese on top of the salad.

It's so good, it's cheap, it's healthy, and it's filling. Plus, you don't feel like taking a nap after you eat.

Go Dog Go

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
My lunch, just about every day at work:

1 can of good tuna
2 slices whole wheat bread
sharp cheddar cheese
cucumber
serrano pepper

yogurt with berries
apple
cookies

Antares

macrumors 68000
I mix things up quite a bit. However, if you're looking for prepared food, Trader Joe's has some very cheap and extremely high quality/tastey options. For example, today, I brought in a "Trader Ming's" Pad Thai which only cost $1.39 (11.6 oz). I had some frozen green beans on the side. But I guess it all depend on if you have a Trader Joe's in your area.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
I take a Ham 6in Sub from Subway to College with me (on days I can't go down town) if I don't take I go into town and buy the sub.

Sub (£2.30) + Drink (£1.20) = £3.50 + Free cookie (worth £0.70), now that is cheap :D

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Easiest thing to do is pack leftovers! If you make pasta for dinner, make a little extra and take it for lunch. Or just make a big bowl of pasta and it will last several days... though you might get sick of it by day three. ;) Salads are a good option, too: easy, cheap, nutritious, and delicious!

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Buffalo smoked turkey breast, with provolone, tomato and horseradish. Wegman's has the best buffalo turkey breast..

I could live on those sandwiches. I was going to say Haagen Daaz Vanilla Bean, but that's hardly lunch material ;)

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Sandwiches are a great option. If your grocery store sells Boar's Head Blazing Buffalo Roast Chicken breast, get some of that (sliced thin of course). It's so flavorful, it almost doesn't need any condiments. A sandwich of that with some good bread, some shredded lettuce and maybe a little light mayo or some sharp chedder makes a great lunch.

Oh yeah, and Trader Joe's rocks.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Home-made WW bread, slice of white chedder cheese, yogurt, apple, pear, banana, orange, and popcorn today. This thread is making me so frickin' hungry.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Nice ideas here. I often take yesterdays rice, with some frozen peas dumped into it. The frozen peas keep it nice and cool and by lunchtime it's just got to eating temperature.

We have a microwave at work but I try to avoid using it as it doesnt smell good, and microwaves often makes food taste worse. There's a fridge too but it also smells of sour milk :(

Keeping some bottles of soysauce or other conditiments is a must. I also store a few packets of nuts, some corn cakes (ideally the half-inch thick, 4 inch across ones), peanut butter, and marmite in a drawer.

Used to keep rice cakes, but they don't really fill you up, as they apparently have a stupendously high GI index.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Sandwiches are a great option. If your grocery store sells Boar's Head Blazing Buffalo Roast Chicken breast, get some of that (sliced thin of course). It's so flavorful, it almost doesn't need any condiments. A sandwich of that with some good bread, some shredded lettuce and maybe a little light mayo or some sharp chedder makes a great lunch.

Oh yeah, and Trader Joe's rocks.

Boars Head FTW. I always bring sandwiches to work with their maple glaze turkey breast and Vermont cheddar cheese. Delicious. I eat it a few times a week and never get sick of it, they have the best deli meat I have ever tasted.

As good as the sandwiches are, I do find myself going out to lunch with my coworkers once or twice a week. It's good to get out of the office every now and then.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Homemade BLTs are my fave, or Sandvich's but the longer they're "alive" the nastier they get.

RogueVasion

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
MA/CT
Boars Head FTW. I always bring sandwiches to work with their maple glaze turkey breast and Vermont cheddar cheese. Delicious. I eat it a few times a week and never get sick of it, they have the best deli meat I have ever tasted.

I agree! Boars Head is some amazing cold cuts...all of it. Its a little pricey, but definitely worth it because its sooo delicious.

Sometimes for lunch, I'll just go to Starbucks and chill with a coffee. Then I just pig out on the food I have at home (which is always filled with goodness).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.