What checks can be done in store b4 buying?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hellenek, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Hellenek macrumors member

Hiya,
    I'm based in Uganda (East Africa) and my friend who's coming to the USA over the weekend has agreed to pass by an Apple store and get me an iPhone. (yay!) He's not an Apple fan and won't have much time to spend in the store. Whatever he's got to do has to be quick so I need your advice.

1. What errors should he watch out for on the iPhone and how can he check for them before paying?
    2. He said said he'll be going to the New York State. Is there a recommended store that's less likely to have faulty units?
    3. I'd like to buy the Waterfield cases? Are they in the stores? Which cases and which stores?
    4.The V-Moda with call button seem to be the best headsets. Are these now in the Apple stores? Which stores?
    5. How much is the iPhone including tax?

Phew!

Considering my location, I won't be able to return the iPhone if its faulty but I just need to minimise my risks.
    Thanx!
    Hellene

2. Spanners macrumors member

Ok this is quite tricky...

1) He can't really as its sealed and boxed. They might take it out of the box for him to see and turn on but it won't do anything because it's not activated. So all he might see (if they let him take it out of the box) is that the screen has no defects.

2) There won't be any difference in which store he goes to the level of faulty units will be the same across all stores.

3) Not that I know of. You'd be better getting it off the internet

4) Yes, I'm not sure if they would be in stock, He can always ask. Again you'll find them cheaper on the internet. BTW the iPhone does come with headphones with a call button.

5) very close to $433.41

Also you will be able to return it. It has an international warrenty so you can post it for repair.

Good luck!

3. Jocko macrumors member

The v-moda's with the button are not in any Apple store yet. Considering how backordered they are at the moment, it seems likely the Apple stores won't get them for at least a couple of weeks. You'll probably have to order those online at a later time.

As far as taking it out of the box and looking at it... I hightly doubt it. They have display models on the floor for people to play with. I can almost gurantee they won't let him open the box until AFTER he has bought it.

4. philhyde macrumors member

I can honestly tell you that all of my buying experiences at the apple stores have been very quick and painless. When I bought my iPhone two weeks ago, I was literally in the store less than 10 minutes. I think it was less than 5 minutes when I bought my Nano.

5. Hellenek thread starter macrumors member

Thanx guys. I read on another thread (can't find it now) that the iPhone's serial number matters as it tells you the week of manufacture. Can this easily be read off the box? Are there particular weeks to avoid? That negative black screen scares me. I'll give him the instructions for checking the screen after purchase.

About the default headset, is it any good? I have iPod headphones I don't have much of a problem with them but there's a lot of discussion on the forums about alternative headsets so I thought they may not be that good.

I'll order the Waterfield stuff online then...

6. philhyde macrumors member

I'm sure you can read the serial no from the box. The 4th and 5th characters are the build week. E.g. "7R737" is build week 37. I have a week 37 and it's flawless. I think the later, the better.