What checks should I do on a new iMac ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FrenchPB, Nov 16, 2011.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Just received my new iMac and my 8 GB of Crucial RAM. I wanted to know whether I should do any check before installing the new RAM in the computer.

What are the things you look like on your new computer to know it's OK ? I heard some iMac had screen issues, so what should I do to make sure mine is OK ? Should I also check the harddrive one way or an other ?

Basically, I'd like to know what to do before installing the new RAM, in case I'd have to return a faulty computer.

Thank you.

2. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=824940&highlight=imac+yello

There's a description of one recent issue. If you want you can turn out all the lights and put up a black screen to check for backlight bleed. These are mass produced items. The quality control is not perfect on these displays. LCD displays in general tend not to be perfect in uniformity. Really expensive displays sometimes will use panel blocking algorithms to compensate, but even that isn't perfect. It's a limitation in the technology and LG is about the only one left making ips displays or anything similar. Hitachi and Mitsubishi used to make some really nice panels. I wish they still did. :(

Still you should look at it in low light or complete darkness to make a determination. In my experience imacs can still age poorly under heavy use, especially around the edges. The point being, if you aren't using it, turn it off or set it to turn off the display when idle.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Check if it is waterproof. You don't want it breaking later.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

1 - Buy Applecare.
    2 - Turn it on.
    3 - Enjoy the next three years of your life.

5. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

The computer is new and under warranty for a year, that's more than enough to see if everything is OK with it. Are there still people who buy apple care or insurances for electronic devices ?

My question is not about that, but more about what tests should be done on a new machine upon receiving it.

The yellow screen for instance had a test, but the links are broken on that thread : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=824940&highlight=imac+yello

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Yes.

None, other than looking at it with your own eyes. If it looks right to you, then it is fine. Almost everything you read following threads such as those is from problems that existed two years ago. Apple really did get their act together with the panel situation.

I really wouldn't worry about it, and I'd avoid those threads at all costs. They're heavily tainted with a large dollop of paranoia.

7. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

I banged my new 16Gb of RAM into the iMAc before I even turned it on.

Tbh, if you dont see anything with your own eyes when your on it then theres no problems with it.