What cloud backup are you using for photos & videos?

acm1108

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
What is everyone using?

I'm looking for an app that'll automatically back-up photos & videos I take.
Whether it's OneDrive, Flickr, SugarSync, Google Drive... etc

iCloud Photo Backup isn't what I thought it was going to be. I thought iCloud Drive would store the photos to alleviate space on my device, but I was wrong.

Crusoe

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2014
What is everyone using?

I'm looking for an app that'll automatically back-up photos & videos I take.
Whether it's OneDrive, Flickr, SugarSync, Google Drive... etc

iCloud Photo Backup isn't what I thought it was going to be. I thought iCloud Drive would store the photos to alleviate space on my device, but I was wrong.
I use Dropbox to automatically backup all photos and videos. Then I take a copy of each and store it in a separate location on my MBA (I'm unreasonably paranoid about losing all of my Dropbox content). Then I sync them back to my iPhone albums. I also take an external disk backup of my MBA, although I don't quite manage best practice by keeping it in another location separate from my MBA.

Dropbox is for me the most seamless solution, but I don't rely on it always being there.

acm1108

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2013
I use Dropbox to automatically backup all photos and videos. Then I take a copy of each and store it in a separate location on my MBA (I'm unreasonably paranoid about losing all of my Dropbox content). Then I sync them back to my iPhone albums. I also take an external disk backup of my MBA, although I don't quite manage best practice by keeping it in another location separate from my MBA.

Dropbox is for me the most seamless solution, but I don't rely on it always being there.
I thought Dropbox had more than just 1 pricing option. Assuming you pay the $10 bucks a month, do you find it worth it?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I also use Dropbox for my photos. Once I am infront of my computer, I download them to iPhoto.

I have a rather large amount of storage that I have worked up (all free) so I don't really worry about storage limits for my devices.

Crusoe

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2014
I thought Dropbox had more than just 1 pricing option. Assuming you pay the $10 bucks a month, do you find it worth it?
I use the free option. With the various bonus space gifts they've given out over time I have 7.4 GB, which is sufficient for my most important files and photos.

qtrim

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
About a month ago I abandoned DropBox and PhotoStream and went all in with OneDrive and it's 40gigs of free storage. I moved my whole 15gig photos folder to OneDrive. Turn on iOS background photo sync in OneDrive and you're all set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.