What cloud service should I go for?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bp1000, Nov 1, 2014.

1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I'm mainly concerned with my photos and videos. Is have google drive for docs and use my free iCloud quota for mac stuff.

I'm confused how iCloud photo library works. I know it's pretty redundant at the moment until OS X app for it is released. Once that is available it will be very useful as it keeps edits synced across all devices right?

Does it store everything off the device so no space is take up?

What about camera roll photos and videos they will still be on your iPhone right? But the iPad or Mac just sees them as in the cloud but not taking up space?

How does Dropbox compare?

It can sync all photos and videos right? It works right now across all devices. But what are the downsides? Can i still easily grab videos to edit between iOS devices for example, what about Mac integration. Is iCloud library once available more seamless or doesn't it matter?

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

All this services cache data locally as much as possible because that save bandwidth and helps responsivness. They often just sync to cloud but still keep a local copy.

Currently the whole webinterface photo cloud is all online and only the browser does any caching. If they add a real app I guess they will cache all recent photos locally.

Camera roll photos you can already sync to iphoto. So I suppose it would work just the same.

All in all, I think skydrive is best the service for documents or google is also quite good. For photos they are all mostly the same usually only with webinterfaces and the option to browse in explorer/finder.
    Personally I don't like icloud because you have to have only Apple products to get any real use out of it. I don't bind myself to that. I prefer using other services that work on all devices.