What codec am I missing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fud122, Apr 2, 2008.

1. fud122 macrumors member

Hi,

I have Perian 1.1 installed on my mac and I have VLC installed as well. I can view this video file with VLC fine but not with Quicktime. I thought Perian contained everything? The audio is fine but just no picture (just a white screen). I have attached a photo showing the video's properties. If anybody can let me know what codec I am missing and where I can download it from that would be great! I'd like to view it in QT if possible. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Try VLC player, and if it doesn't work then its almost certainly a problem with the file.

3. fud122 thread starter macrumors member

I have VLC installed and video works perfectly fine under that. I was just wondering if I could somehow get it to work under QT as well. All I get is the audio under QT (and it's supposed to be an .avi file as well). Thanks.

4. Mernak macrumors 6502

Considering that it is h.264 for the video, it sounds like Quicktime can't play it. Sometimes that happens, and VLC seems to be the only solution. Usually for me it plays the whole video (at least a bunch of frames in chronological order, spanning the length of the video) in the first second or two, then it goes to a white screen.

5. jcs1088 macrumors regular

Not sure if this will work or not, but after I did this on my mac I was able to play .avi files in QuickTime.
    Go to System Prefs > QuickTime > Advanced > MIME Settings and under video click the check box for AVI.

[​IMG]

6. fud122 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for your help. Unfortunately nothing seems to make this video work under QT. I'll just stick with VLC for these kinds of files.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Dollars to donuts, you need the DivX codec.

8. fud122 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That didn't work as well. I got it to work now though under QT. I had perian 1.1 installed on my mac. I uninstalled that and went back to perian 1.0. Now it works perfectly. I guess there was something wrong with the 1.1 version and how it read certain avi files.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If it was a WMV file I'd recommend installing Flip4Mac, however as it's an AVI, I think you'll have to stick with VLC from the sounds of it. I use VLC as my default player anyway...