What Codecs Do I need For Quicktime 7?

cdubb213

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
36
0
Toronto, Canada
Hi, everyone I am new to this forum. I need some help from you guys or gals. I just bought toast 6 titanium and I want to import an AVI file, but I get a warning cannot import because a required codec could not be found.
The ones I already have are: Divx, 3ivx, and Ac3. I heard of Quicktime MPEG 2 Component, but will it allow me to drag an AVI file in Toast, also is it worth the $19.99.
I hope someone can help me!
 

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
2,756
0
Melbourne, Australia
If the movie actually plays in QT it should just work in Toast since you have all the codecs you require. Can you share some more information ie, video codec and audio codec of the file someone might be able to offer some help then.
 

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
10,650
28
USA
cdubb213 said:
Hi, everyone I am new to this forum. I need some help from you guys or gals. I just bought toast 6 titanium and I want to import an AVI file, but I get a warning cannot import because a required codec could not be found.
The ones I already have are: Divx, 3ivx, and Ac3. I heard of Quicktime MPEG 2 Component, but will it allow me to drag an AVI file in Toast, also is it worth the $19.99.
I hope someone can help me!
With the codecs you have installed, you should be able to handle every AVI file possible on a Mac. Your video is probably encoded in one or more of the obscure Windows-only audiovisual formats allowable in the AVI wrapper.
 

cdubb213

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
36
0
Toronto, Canada
I have no problems with playing the AVI file, it works perfectly in my quicktime player, but I cannot drag it into toast. What do I do if it is encoded?
 

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
1,074
2
Great White North
cdubb213 said:
I have no problems with playing the AVI file, it works perfectly in my quicktime player, but I cannot drag it into toast. What do I do if it is encoded?
I would try exporting the avi from quicktime to a mov, or mpeg4 file and then drag the mov or mpeg file to toast
 

cdubb213

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
36
0
Toronto, Canada
My quicktime 7 doesn't play mpeg4 files, so i cannot drag it into toast, so easily. I get message saying: it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048). Anyone knows what do I do next? I already have most of the codecs needed.
 

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
10,650
28
USA
cdubb213 said:
My quicktime 7 doesn't play mpeg4 files, so i cannot drag it into toast, so easily. I get message saying: it is not a file that QuickTime understands (-2048). Anyone knows what do I do next? I already have most of the codecs needed.
First, there is no need to set the font size. The default works fine. QuickTime is the basis of MPEG 4. The QuickTime player plays MPEG 4 out of the box. The 3ivx codec will often take over from the Apple codec, but willl play MPEG 4 content perfectly. If you are having difficulty with this MPEG 4 content, then it is likely that your QuickTime installation has been damaged in some fashion.