What color are the Key Lime iBooks?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Ariii, May 14, 2012.

1. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

2. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

It's more towards the 1st one but kind of in the middle. Is is more of a lighter side neon green color.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Its more like the 1st one in real life. The Key Lime iBooks were only sold online and came in at 466MHz with a DVD-ROM drive. The only other iBook toilet seat edition with those same specs was the SE graphite one of the same year. Limebooks are easily the most desirable by far.

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

They had 366Mhz models of the Key Lime iBook as well. I have both a 366 and a 466 model with FireWire. They're pretty neat, but unfortunately the White iBooks have them beat with a second USB port, VGA output, and a slightly faster CPU, etc.

This YouTube Video shows the color pretty well, they are surprisingly bright! :eek: :D

I love my Lime iBook dearly (as you can guess by my username)... :)

5. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Thanks! I want one so much more now! Is there any difference in color between the 366 MHz and 466 MHz?

6. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

No, they are the same color :)

7. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Thanks! I just got one in the mail and it is amazing!! The front is a little faded, so I'm going to buy a new case plate from WegenerMedia. I'm planning to upgrade it to CF anyways, so I'll be taking the majority of it apart anyways :).

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Originally they were bright neon fluorescent green. Many have paled and turned a lighter green color over time. The original ones were very bright and colorful, but I have seen many on eBay that are the lighter color, I believe these are not fakes but simply ones that have changed color over time. Plastics are known to do this -- look at early Macs that have turned yellow from their original platinum color.

9. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

I was thinking the same thing about them fading

10. greenapplenerd macrumors newbie

Previous Owner of Lime Green iBook

The first photo is the correct color. When you first pulled it out of the package it looked very bright but soon discolored. It was a soft plastic or rubber that would oxidize and collected dust so I would imagine that the photos on ebay are reflecting light and making them look faded. I wonder what ArmorAll would do for them? The second pic looks like it is of a clear prototype and color edited. :D

----------

Sun
    Oxidation
    Dust

11. mikeyrko macrumors member

Hi how did things go with replacing the top piece?
    I have tried emailing wegener several times with no response I figured they were sold out of the lime iBook stuff

12. Ariii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I've eMailed them as well to see if the top plates were 'new' looking.... and there's still no response. I'm about to order one right now once I have the money, since I might get notification if it's out of stock.