What color iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dmac77, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

So, I hot an iPhone 3G giftcard last night, and now I'm debating on black or white.

What color do you think I should get? I've heard that the white iPhone has issues with developing cracks, is this true? How much do smuges show on the black iPhone, does the black show scratches like the 5G iPod, and does the white iPhone have problems with getting dirty (does it stay white)?

Sorry for all the questions!

Don

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Whichever you want? Humanity has free will for a reason! :D

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

This is a nice chart that someone on MR made last year; just put the White or Black 3G iPhone 8GB/16GB in the "Should I buy ____________ now or wait?":

Attached Files:

5. TheMBC macrumors 6502

I was hot for one too today, but didn't get one :D

I'm sure they both scratch the same but the white one's scratches gets dirt in them so they look very unappealing. That's how it was when I had mine. But no it doesn't change color it does stay white. (Sans the scratches like I said.)

6. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

This doesn't help the OP's situation at all. He asked which colour, not whether he should buy the iPhone now or wait.

Anyway's, OP, if you like the white better, just go for it. I don't know a lot about the "cracking" issue, and I know there are a few people on here that have it, but I don't think the issue is really widespread, and I'm not sure it even applies only to the white iPhone.

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

8. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

This is what I figured. I figured it was probably the same issue on both, but one was more noticeable.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

here are three options you can do/consider:
    1. do you have an 5th generation or earlier ipod that is white or even black if its a 5th. If so, find it, put it up to your ear so the front is facing out (the white/black part)... look in the mirror..
    2.doesn't matter cause your more then likely going to get a case for it which will cover it and won't be able to see the color.
    3. Go to colorware and get whatever color you want (my choice)

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Your right; excuse my feeble attempt at humor at the OP's expense. Thanks Ziggy (are you a MODERATOR?), I'll go to my room now...:eek:

11. lidomkj macrumors regular

I have 2 white. No cracks and does not show fingerprints. Also, I put on Skinit to change the look her and there so color does not really matter if you have a case or skin. I got white since not many people have this one.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

White - so people know you've got the 16GB and not the 8GB "poor person's" iPhone.

13. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

Get black.. here's why I think

The white has shown significant problems with hairline cracks, even with gentle-normal handling.

My brother handles his 3G white with meticulous care, yet this cracking has been occuring.. especially near the headphone port and around the top of the iPhone.

I would recommend getting black. Do you really want an iPhone that cracks even with proper care?

14. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Do you really think this is only a problem with "white" iPhones only? The black ones crack just as easy, it's just harder to see. LOL at the people that think the white plastic is completely different material than black plastic.

15. Kevster89 macrumors regular

Kevster89

According to my local genius bar this is a problem more prominent in the white. And no, it would be just as easy if not easier to notice cracking in a Black iPhone.

16. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I've got a white with no cracks. Cracking may have been a problem on the early one's but mine is a later one (Oct 08) with no cracks. I'm guessing they addressed this problem, but that's only a guess.

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd get the white since only 16GB iPhones are white. And it looks better than the black imho.

18. RamblinWreck macrumors regular

RamblinWreck

I was stuck trying to figure this out when I got my phone. The black iphone is black on the front and black on the back. However the white is black on the front and white on the back. Why? If Apple had made it white on both front and back I would've gotten a white one, but because of the color, black was an easy choice.

19. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

i have the white and love it..no cracks at all and i got it almost when it came out...but yea, u do see more dirt...

also if you are using a skin or something, dirt gets caught between the film and the white

20. Daveecee macrumors regular

Get whichever you think looks better in your opinion? :confused:

21. davyreins macrumors 6502

I have the white and have no regrets. I think scratches don't show up as much on the white too; but, I'm not sure. I got the white because it seemed like the classic apple look.

22. croy macrumors newbie

I really do no get this "all white iPhones crack". I have had the same white iPhone now since launch, I have dropped it on the ground with no case & it chipped in the one spot. I am sure if it was black it would do that same thing, there is no fine hair line cracking in mine.

Just buy whatever one you want, get a nice case or don't & enjoy the phone. :D

23. Maguire macrumors member

I initially wanted a white iPhone, but I ended up choosing the 16GB black iPhone once I was in the Apple store...love how sleek it looks.

24. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

White, less smudges and scratches don't show as easily as the black. It looks more clean, and Apple like. Plus you can stand out and not be like the other 48373424 people that have the black since White only comes in 16GB.

25. hexonxonx macrumors 601

LOL we have both a white iPhone and a black 8GB.