What color is/was your iMac G3?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iMacZealot, Apr 15, 2007.

?

What color is/was your iMac G3?

1. Bondi Blue

22 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. Strawberry

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Tangerine

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. Lime

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  5. Blueberry

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  6. Grape

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  7. Ruby

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. Sage

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  9. Indigo

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  10. Flower Power

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  11. Blue Dalmatian

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  12. Snow

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  13. Graphite

12 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Thought this would be a fun thread. My parents have a Snow, which was mine, which was my sister's, my brother has a Snow (even though he doesn't use it), and my other sister had a Grape, which we sold a few years ago.

What color is/was yours?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

grape, and its still going strong :)

my dad had a flower power one for work, but i think the company took it back. i really wanted it as well...

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I had the bondi blue until about 2002 then I got the Indigo and it is what I'm still using. Just making some RAM/HD upgrades to it to make it run faster. Still going strong as ever. Great machine.

4. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Lime

Lime and it's still working great. Wonderful system.

333 MHz Lime tray-loader
    288 MB of RAM
    13 GB hard drive
    OS 10.3.9 and OS 9.2.2

5. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

bondi blue. Still works with OS 10.2.8 better than it did new. CRT is flawless, but I scratched it a little in my last move.:(

6. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

How much RAM do you have?

7. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

God I loved my Bondi Blue iMac G3... to bad I somehow fried it :eek:

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Mine was fried too. That's why I had to get the Indigo.

9. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

say it with me now TANGERINEyum :D but shes sitting in a closet some where, with the tangerine keyboard attached to a mac mini some 15 miles away at my gf's house.

10. papadopolis1024 macrumors 6502

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

A roommate of mine has a 600mhz Graphite that he still uses every day as his main computer. Runs Tiger and does everything he wants.

12. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

2 x 256Mb. I was bogging down in iPhoto too much...:rolleyes:

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Bought a used Bondi Blue iMac G3 a few year ago

14. maxeythecat macrumors newbie

Ruuuby-ruuby, ruubee baybee....mine's a ruby DV+ 450 Mgs and still going strong alongside my eMac! Pretty color and a delightful machine!:) :) :) :)

15. gavd macrumors 6502a

My iMac G3 was my first Mac. It's white and still going strong, just with an extra 512mb Ram to help it along.

16. compudude86 macrumors newbie

compudude86

i am proud to have set up my own personal collection, containing a bondi blue manufactured on my 12th birthday, a strawberry, a lime, a blueberry slot load, a grape, and a tangerine. i might get some of the other exotic colors once they drop in price, who knows ;):apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:

17. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Indigo (summer 2001). Still going strong, still faster than the majority of PCs in my family (which were produced after 2001) :D

18. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

graphite...how plain. :)

ahhhh, graphite. ;) i bought that same machine in the spring of 2002, and i used it up until a few months ago. i finally gave it to my little brother, and now he's enjoying it. :)

19. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I bought my first Bondi iMac in 2004. I loved that machine, but it was so slow (Mac OS 8.6, 32MB RAM) so I ended up donating it late last year since trying to sell it was pointless. I miss that machine! :(

20. D ROCK macrumors regular

600 mhz "SNOW" G3 iMac, 256 mg RAM, OS 9.2.2, 40 Gig HDD

Well I just picked this one up at an auction. I passed on a 400mhz graphite and I am regretting that decision....
    I originally had a 400mhz "ruby" that I sold for $200 more than I paid for it.
    I bought that one brand new.
    this one is used.
    I am waiting for the new iMac 24" to be updated then I will get one of those.
    I just sold my 17" iMac G5 a year ago now I guess.... I started 9 years ago with a G4 400 desktop with 17" apple monitor... I sold that one when I needed more desk space and went with iMacs ever since.
    I love these little guys!

I would like to do a bit of upgrade to this one.... I am looking for 2x 512 ram to bring me to the max 1 gig.
    I also want to know what is the latest OS I can install?

600 mhz "SNOW" G3 iMac, 256 mg RAM, OS 9.2.2, 40 Gig HDD

Also any good links to a DIY harddrive upgrade? and what is the largest HDD I can put in here without causing any issues?????

I have a 320 gig external but would like to up the internal as well.

21. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I still have an iMac G3 600 Snow with an original AirPort card in it and 1 GB of RAM and it's still going strong. :) I bought it brand new and still have the original box, packing materials, discs, manuals, accessories, etc. It's definitely something I plan on keeping forever as a collectors item.

22. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

The only question I can answer is the OS, and you will be able to run Tiger on it fine. I run Panther on one with less specs than that. As for Leopard, you'll have to wait and see, but I doubt it will be very good on it.

23. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You can upgrade it all the way to Tiger with no problems, just up the RAM to at least 512MB or it'll be rather sluggish.
    HDD wise, the largest it will support is 128GB.

A visual guide to upgrading the hard drive is here.

24. D ROCK macrumors regular

Thanks for speedy reply!

I am wondering if I can go all the way up to Leopard? ie the most recent TIGER update? if so that will be amazing!
    Far better than I ever thought I could do with a $50.00 iMac.

OK so should I also try to upgrade my cd rom drive then as well?
    I saw the youtub guy doing that and it made me think that it was an option....
    anyone know what is the recomended DVD drive to get?
    Prices?
    I will definately look for the best deal on a 120 gig drive.
    does it make a difference ata or eide drive? (I realize sata is not an option....)

Has anyone upgraded the USB to a USB2 slot?
    can it be done?

also I see it has a monitor out jack. I never realized my ruby may have had this as well but I never knew it....
    can you hack it so that it will span 2 screens or will it only mirror 2 screens?
    I know the new iMacs would only mirror till you added some software to get it to span.....

anyone know about this??????

side note... can you span with a mini? or just mirror as well???? my brother has an original mini and wants to span screens.... for power point purposes...

thanks all!

I will probabaly have more questions as well sonn.....
    I'll take some pics if and when I do these upgrades....

25. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I have a Bondi Blue iMac somewhere, gathering dust. It did have 384MB RAM and still has a Voodoo2 graphics card, which made it quite a good machine for playing Unreal back in 1998 or 1999, whichever year it was. My sister has a Bondi Blue iMac, too. I installed Panther for her and gave her my RAM on loan (she was still running on Mac OS 9 with 64MB RAM). Also installed a 40GB hard drive in her iMac. I've long since moved over to a iMac G4 (the original 15" 800MHz top of the line model) that's needing replacement. Can't believe she (my sister) is still happily going along on her old Bondi Blue Baby. Using it for digital photography, too. I'm finding my iMac G4 to become really slow now, five years after I bought it. And still, she's happily using a nine year old machine that was more or less obsolete when it was introduced (at least the amount of RAM and the GPU were). Praise to my sister, really.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Bondi Blue Baby. There were several times when I've been tempted to sell it, but to this date I just couldn't part with it. Not that it would sell for much anyways, but at least it would clear up some space. It really does look a bit dated nowadays, though. But then again, it's almost nine years old...