Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
United States
Help! I have a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver at work that I'd like to put Tiger on, but it only has a CD-RW drive. I don't want to pay $10 for the Tiger CDs because it makes more sense to me to pay a little more and get a combo drive. So, my question is, will any old combo drive work, or are there specific ones for a Mac? Any recommendations? Also, do I need to do anything special to make it work, or can I just plug it in and that's it?

The specs are:

Mac OS 10.0.4
Single G4 @ 733MHz
512 MB RAM
CD-RW drive in top slot
Zip drive in bottom slot

Also, do I need to do anything special to make it work, or can I just plug it in and that's it?

As always, much thanks in advance for anyone's help!! :)

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
You may as well buy a DVD burner since they are so cheap now. I got a Pioneer DVR-109 burner for $50 at newegg.com. Go to xlr8yourmac.com and go to the drive database to check compatibility of different drives.

The Pioneer is a dual layer burner too, can't really beat the price nowadays. DL DVD's are way too expensive now, but will eventually drop I guess.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
or just put it into target disk mode and hook it up to a mac with a dvd drive ten boot from the dvd on that mac and install onto your g4, thats what i did with my ibook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.