What comes first the SSD or Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGoat, Jul 23, 2011.

1. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Now that the King of the Jungle has arrived -- or TRIM Support has arrived to OS X. Is it better to upgrade for Lion or buy and install the SSD first?

As documented here, this is my second 2011 MBP 13". I swapped out the first one within two weeks of purchase b/c I feared it had heat issues. Well, the second one, which I've had since March, has the same issue. I've also been under the suspicion that the second one is not quite as fast. The 32-bit Geekbench scores are the same (5900s) yet this one seems to lag a little more and not launch apps in as few bounces as the other one. Could this be anything other than a software and/or drive issue? Or are there other things outside of the foregoing + CPU/Memory that make a computer slow?

For clarification, my computer is not slow when compared to older computers, just not as snappy as the one it replaced. The problem may lie with the perception of the user, however.

2. ctbear macrumors 6502a

As far as I know Lion creates a new recovery partition. I had the same question two days ago and decided to install SSD first for that reason.

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

As far as I know TRIM is not officially supported for non Apple SSDs. You can use the TRIM hack though.

Personally I would always prefer a clean install. So install SSD, install OS clean.

By the way, as you may know not all SSDs actually need TRIM. With Sandforce and Kingston I wouldn't bother, they have good garbage collection.

4. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys for the quick responses! I'll begin looking at SSDs some time this weekend. This forum is rife with options.

5. AppleGoat thread starter macrumors 6502a

That last tidbit is good to know. Do Crucial, Vertex, & OCZ have the same waste management?

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This also works in the latest version of SL, Lion is not needed if all you want is TRIM support.

7. Philflow macrumors 65816

Vertex 3 (Sandforce) SSDs have better garbage collection than Crucial.

It wouldn't stop me from buying Crucial though, because of the better reliability track record.

So on Vertex 3 there's no need for TRIM, on Crucial M4 TRIM may help long term performance.