What comes over with a Time Machine restore?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by hakr100, Jan 22, 2014.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Good morning or evening.

I've got an older iMac I am selling in order to help finance the purchase of a new iMac.

I've cleaned a substantial amount of "crud" off the old iMac and when I finish doing that, I plan to run a new, complete Time Machine backup onto an external hard drive. There are certain programs on the old iMac and their data I want to keep intact and reinstall on the new machine.

So, here's my question. I start up the new iMac and set it up from the Time Machine so my "stuff" transfers over. I've done this before. But what comes over in addition to what I want?

All the little files I wasn't able to remove from programs I deleted on the old machine? I don't want this...are they going to come over anyway?

There doesn't seem to be a reasonable way to bring over just the programs I want, along with their settings and data, because the OS sets up files, including hidden files, everywhere on the hard drive in all sorts of folders, and I really have no way of knowing what is where.

I wouldn't bother with this, but a number of my programs were downloads, and I'm not even sure I still have all the install packages, set up data, usernames, passwords, serials, et cetera.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Just use /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant.app and gave it transfer you pictures, music and serial numbers to programs. Whatever you do don't transfer Network Settings because between every new version of OS X the underlining network stack changes slightly.

Plus IMHO get the new version of software on the new version of OS X needs updating in many cases.

3. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I guess my question is what comes over with Migration Assistant? Let's say I have properly uninstalled a program but the uninstall still leaves behind various files in plists or libraries. Will Migration Assistant move those old, unneeded files onto the new machine?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Yes. It worked for me that way when I got a new Drive and did a Fresh install on it.

5. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, it left the old un-need stuff where it was, or yes, it moved all the old, unneeded stuff over to the fresh install?

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The movement window let me select what to bring over. I used that to move, saved email, documents, picture and some Applications that next immediately update that program for 10.9.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes it will.