Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I was runnin' my 12" at 1.67GHz, I had the case open, it was booting. My screwdriver tapped the the part next to the battery with the gold pins that go into the lobo, every thing went black. What is that part called? I need my 12" to go speedy.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
What instructions you used to overclock, found some info myself but just asking?

I however doubt that I will actually try to OC my 12" 1.5GHz as I'm guessing you'll have to disassemble it quite a lot to reach those jumpers or whatever they are called.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
What instructions you used to overclock, found some info myself but just asking?

I however doubt that I will actually try to OC my 12" 1.5GHz as I'm guessing you'll have to disassemble it quite a lot to reach those jumpers or whatever they are called.

It's easy.

Remove top case.
Pop the resistors.
Write traces with conductive paint.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
OK, sounds simple :)
I might have disassemble my machine anyways since it runs bit hotter than I think a G4 should, just received this machine recently and so far I haven't used this more than just checking that it seems to work, only the fan is bit too active and temps still quite high. Cleaning possible dust and replacing thermal paste probably helps.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Either the G4 or the GPU. I'm going with the G4.

The part is not on the lobo. It is a separate card in the bottom right.

-------------------
|..........|...........|
|...1.....|....3.....|
|......---|---------|
|......| 2|......4...|
==========

1:Lobo
2:part I fried
3:Optical Disk Drive
4:Battery

What part is two?

Last edited:

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Doesn't matter. You were stressing the G4 already. This just pushed it past its breaking point and it fried.

So you are saying that even with that part replaced it will not work?

I've edited my post to fix the error.

The part is not on the lobo. It is a separate card in the bottom right.

-------------------
|..........|...........|
|...1.....|....3.....|
|......---|---------|
|......| 2|......4...|
==========

1:Lobo
2:part I fried
3:Optical Disk Drive
4:Battery

What part is two?

Sounds like the part is the Dc-Dc board from the description of the location. Might as well replace it while you are in there, they are pretty cheap now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.