What Computer for Logic Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aking63, Apr 12, 2011.

1. aking63 macrumors newbie

Hi I'm currently running logic pro 9 on my 2009 15" mbp. It has a 2.8 ghz intel core duo processor and 8gb ram. i have the stock 500gb 5400rpm hard drive, and everthing else is also stock. So far it runs fine but i recently bought a 10-input interface

I am trying to build up a recording studio with a dedicated recording computer and basically i want to know if buying a mac pro is overkill. Im considering either the quad or 8-core version and i would probably buy the computer more or less barebones and then upgrade ram, hard drives, etc myself rather than paying apple to do it.

Eventually i want to be running 30+ inputs which would require atleast 3 firewire interfaces and be able to record on all of them at once if needed.

So do i spend the big bucks for an 8-core mac pro?

Also, what do you think about refurbished models, ebay or kijiji for buying?

2. ConnYoungy macrumors 6502a

From my experience, at college we have iMacs for mixing & some MIDI input and they generally hang up if you start using 15+ tracks, but the Mac Pros in the studio never have an issue!

3. aking63 thread starter macrumors newbie

good to know. I suspected that. and i also was hesitant about the imacs because they have limited upgradability.

Any idea which mac pros your school has?