What computer for optimal Student Use, Graphic Design?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by G5Unit, Sep 16, 2008.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I'm a student currently in 11th grade and I believe it's time to upgrade.

My current computer is a PowerMac G5 Single 1.8Ghz and it just doesn't seem to cut it anymore.

As I do a lot of work in CS3 and After Effects, what mac would best be optimal for me needs?

I already own a 24 inch screen, but that, and along with the PowerMac, can be sold if necessary.

I just haven't really been able to keep up since the Intel days began so I figured I'd ask here:)

My budget is essentially $2000, though that's no fixed.

Thank you!

2. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

I'm in the Exact same boat as you. I've been saving for 1.5 years for the MBP and can't wait for the new ones. I go to the Apple stores every couple months though to "Get my fix", but soon I need a permanent one.

3. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I would wait for the new MBP. It will serve ur needs, last long, and adds portability.

4. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

Agreed. I am also going for Web and Graphic Design and a MBP will be a good choice. I got one and its been great so far.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I don't do graphic design, but the MBP is a sweeeeet machine. It should suit your needs beautifully. Or if you're looking for a desktop, the iMac could work well for ya.

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Go for either the MacBook to save some cash or rather the MBP.

7. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I've been thinking the same thing with the iMac, yet it hasn't been upgraded in a while...

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can get a first generation Mac Pro for under $2,000 on eBay, spending some time hunting you can get alot for $2,000. Increased memory, more hard drives, sometimes even Applecare. You can also get a refurb quad core 2.8GHz from Apple for $2,000 when they have them.