What Computer language does the mac terminal use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacHaris, Dec 7, 2013.

1. MacHaris macrumors member

Also is the mac terminal computer language also accepted on Linux:confused::confused::confused::confused: devices?

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't know much about this kind of thing, but I do know that, OS X and Linux are both variations on Unix.

3. cube macrumors G5

The default terminal shell can be changed in the login profile. It's a standard Unix/Linux feature.

You can also start a different shell within the shell.

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

It depends on what you mean with "computer language".

Both system use similar shells; the program you enter the commands in and which execute those.

There are different shells; depends on the linux you use they might can easy be interchanged.

But the problem is that many things you do in shell are different on Mac and Linux; that said: the syntax is same/similar; the semantic is very different.

Then there are higher languages like PHP or Perl or C; those are much more compatible between different worlds.

Do you have more specific details ?

5. MacHaris thread starter macrumors member

Let me reword my question.

====REWORDED QUESTION================================
    Which language do I use on (APPLE/UNIX)Terminal to command things?
    =====================================================

6. cube macrumors G5

====REWORDED ANSWER================================
    You can choose from many different shells on (APPLE/UNIX)Terminal to command things
    =====================================================

----------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_command-line_interpreters

I don't think all options are listed there.

7. cube macrumors G5

This will probably work in the terminal so see which one you are using:

Code:
    echo $SHELL

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

OSX uses Apple's Darwin as a core, which is a hugely forked version of FreeBSD.

9. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

What "things" ? Knowing more about "things" will help us to help you ...

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You use the standard stuff used in UNIX, like sudo, mkdir/rmdir...etc.

If you're talking about human languages, it's all in English. When was the last time a terminal/command line interface was in something other than English?

11. leman macrumors 604

The default terminal shell is bash, the same as majority of linuxes. I never met anyone referring to a shell as a programming language, so I would just assume you have no idea about Unix or Linux #

12. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Nice to meet you :D

A shell offers important characteristics of a programming language; define variables, modify those, make decisions; being able to describe an algorithm to solve a problem. Sure, it's an interpreter. But that are other languages too.

13. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I wouldn't call the terminal's bash shell a language.
    A unix terminal command can be used (by itself, or in a shell script) to run a variety of different computer languages, depending on what is installed on the computer, and your intended purpose.

The bash shell gives you an interface that is used for interpreting unix commands.
    Quick facts here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash_(Unix_shell)

I _think_ that you are asking for some information on learning to use the terminal, with that _long_ list of possible commands.
    I also think it will help if you can tell us what your goal is... (what do you want to achieve by using the terminal?)
    Do you have any specific questions?

In the mean time - here's a great reference for unix commands, and how to use them:
    http://hayne.net/MacDev/Notes/unixFAQ.html

14. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

To put it simply: English. Sort of. The commands are based on English.

The Terminal runs a Unix shell (Bash, more specifically), which has a standardized set of basic commands. Shell commands are mostly similar across different Unix and Linux variants and shells. Some shells also offer many more advanced functions, like scripting.

This blog entry is a good read on the subject, and contains most of the basics to get you started: Introduction to the Mac OS X Command Line

15. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

As others have said, bash is the scripting language for terminal, and the default on most linux distros. However, if you're just looking to do something non-portable (OSX only) you might also look into Automator and Applescript, depending on what you need to accomplish.

16. leman macrumors 604

Sure, bash is turing complete, so it more then qualifies as a programming language. Doesn't change the fact that people call it a shell. Anyway, that is besides the point, which is - question 'which computer language does mac terminal use' is an extremely weird one if the person asking is an expert (or at least a power user). And OP's being quite arrogant to people trying to help him does not make his case any stronger.

17. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

Why would you assume he's an expert? Why would an expert ask such a beginner's question? You're the one who sounds arrogant; it's people like you who put people off asking questions.

18. Rahulstark macrumors newbie

Rahulstark

How to change it to Linux feature please help me ...

19. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

On one hand: "… Darwin base including a large amount of code derived from FreeBSD. …" – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BSD_operating_systems

Sometimes the roots of Mac OS X are shown as more BSD (than FreeBSD) …

[​IMG]
    Unix history-simple
    [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], by Eraserhead1, Infinity0, Sav_vas, from Wikimedia Commons

[​IMG]
    Unix timeline.en
    [Public domain], by Guillem, Wereon, Hotmocha (copied from old version's history)
    Christoph S. (redrew the image with Inkscape) (Original image: Image:Unix.png), from Wikimedia Commons

20. robvas macrumors 68020

It's not Linux. It's OS X.

You could install Linux on your Mac if you really want.

21. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The default shell is already bash.
    Of course, as it is Unix-related, and somewhat less Linux-like, some shell commands that you might expect to use in Linux will not be supported, or work in unexpected ways.
    See the various man files for commands that you want to use, which will explain the accepted format for those commands in the bash shell.

I agree with robvas - if you want to use Linux, then install the flavor that you like. Then you will have a linux command line that will be what you want.

22. PTLove macrumors 6502

23. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6