What computer should I get? MBA or MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pchipchip, May 20, 2012.

?

Which one should I get?

1. MBA 13 inch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MBP 15 inch

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. MBP 17 inch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pchipchip macrumors regular

So I am in high school and looking for a computer that is fast. I am thinking of either the MacBookAir or the MacBookPro. On the computer I will be programming(Objective-C, HTML, and maybe some Java), doing a little bit of video editing(for YouTube), and doing school projects. I am willing to spend a fair amount of money if the specifications are really worth it.

Out of those two computers which one should I get and what specifications?

I know this has been asked a lot, but I am looking for a personalized answer, therefore I needed to make a personalized question.

2. javed101 macrumors newbie

Honestly, you should wait for the new models that should be coming out before the new school year.

Secondly, since you'll be doing programming and video editing, the Pro is the way to go IMHO.

However, you'll need bootcamp or a virtual environment so that you can run windows for the programming (unless you can somehow do that on OSX).

3. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

I have VMWare Fusion and am running Windows 8 in it.

4. theluggage macrumors 68030

Not clear from your original post why you needed Windows - OS X is a decent environment for programming - but if you do, that, and the video editing, would make me lean towards the MacBook Pro, if only for the disc space. The SSD makes the Air very nippy, but video files and the virtual discs for Fusion are going to eat into that maximum 256G - the Pros start at 500G. If you're running Windows alongside OS X, you might want the option of upgrading to 8GB RAM in the future - which also means getting the Pro.

I don't see any reason why the Air shouldn't cope with programming horsepower-wise - but programming eats screen real-estate by the time you've got multiple source files and a couple of online documents open - I'd want two decent-sized screens and wouldn't want to spend long working with a single 11" or 13" screen. If you want to spend time programming "on the road" go for a 15" Pro (or maybe even consider the 17").

If, however, you'll be programming mainly "back at base" and doing lighter things "on the road" you could consider a smaller laptop for portability, coupled with a nice big second display (an Apple 27" if you have the cash and don't have an irrational hate of glossy screens) on your desk.

Summary - if you're literally going to be carrying it around all day, go for the Air, because it probably <i>will</i> do everything you want, at a pinch (and get a nice big screen for your desk). Otherwise play it safe and go for a Pro.

BUT, as others have said, rumor has it that new MBPs are launching Real Soon Now.

5. Crucial:BBQ macrumors newbie

You can use rEFIt to dual boot into a native Windows environment (and/or Linux) instead of running Windows virtually.

If you are going to be taking it to school, I would get the Air. I carry my 13" MBP to college and you can really start to feel the weight when you add notebooks, binders, books, etc.