Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Hello, everyone.

For some reason, I put my MacBook on craigslist for no reason. (EDIT: Wow, looks like I've just entered the department of redundancy department:D)Apparently, someone would love to buy it for $1150 cash- Yay! :D

Anyway, I was just wondering what computers (PCs are okay) are the best bang for your buck right now in that price area. I've been looking at Aluminum Powerbooks, Power Mac G5s, and the odd Intel iMac, on the Mac side. Just wanted to know if there are any smokin' deals on laptop PCs or desktop PCs in my price range.

I actually have my eyes on a 15" 1.67GHz PBG4 on eBay right now.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: The next person to say I should keep the MacBook will be burned at the stake.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
With student discount the imac is about $1000-1100. I'd wait until their updated though cos their a crap deal at the moment.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Well I think selling the black MacBook was a bad idea, but if you can raise a little bit more money, I think you should get a refurb/second hand MacBook Pro.

Right now, the 2.16GHz version is $1299 on the Apple Refurbished Store.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
With student discount the imac is about $1000-1100. I'd wait until their updated though cos their a crap deal at the moment.
If you're in 8th grade, does the student discount apply?
You are in a mac forum, get a mac.
You can also run windows with it, so what are you waiting for?
Bah, I think I prefer bang for the buck... but I may get the PB anyway.
Well I think selling the black MacBook was a bad idea, but if you can raise a little bit more money, I think you should get a refurb/second hand MacBook Pro.

Right now, the 2.16GHz version is $1299 on the Apple Refurbished Store.
Why do you think selling it was a bad idea, out of curiosity?

Anyway, yes, a MBP is what I am really looking for. My dad works at a uni and he could get me a sweet discount, I think... Does the edu discount apply at the Refurb Store?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
I don't know.

I think it's like:

Buy a PPC Mac and have $$$ left over

or

Buy an Intel box and get a really good deal

You don't get a really good deal, you get an okayish computer with a mediocre OS...

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
Likewise?

The answer to this question will enable us to give better advice me thinks! :)

Okay you answered while I was posting.

Question, why is the MB too much computer? Specifics.

OK.

-Incredibly fast, but the most intensive app I use is iMovie

-OK, not really another reason, but I'm perfectly happy with the G4 in my sig

-I think BOINC makes it run too hot, so there's no point in the extra power

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Don't spend your money until you find out whether you internet buyer is real or a scammer.

If they are from outside your local community, it's a scam. Abort. There's no reason for them to go shopping on another city's craigslist unless they are a criminal.

Insist on a face to face, cash transaction. Meet in a public place like a Starbucks. Bring a friend. Demonstrate the machine works. Exchange signed receipts stating the machine was received in acceptable condition.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
If the MB is "too much computer for you," why the f would you want/need a MBP?

sadilak

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
NY
Hello, everyone.

For some reason, I put my MacBook on craigslist for no reason. (EDIT: Wow, looks like I've just entered the department of redundancy department:D)Apparently, someone would love to buy it for $1150 cash- Yay! :D

Anyway, I was just wondering what computers (PCs are okay) are the best bang for your buck right now in that price area. I've been looking at Aluminum Powerbooks, Power Mac G5s, and the odd Intel iMac, on the Mac side. Just wanted to know if there are any smokin' deals on laptop PCs or desktop PCs in my price range.

I actually have my eyes on a 15" 1.67GHz PBG4 on eBay right now.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you are going the Windows way, check out ASUS or Lenovo or HP. You can choose between AMD and Intel (if you are customizing your HP).

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
It sounds like you enjoy changing computers and playing with money. There's nothing wrong with that on a theoretical level, but I'd advise you to try to curb this if you can now, instead of letting it become a habit. As someone who bought and either sold or gave away six laptops last year, I'll tell you flatly it isn't worth the time or trouble. My only recommendation would be to take your computer off CL and keep it until you have a sincere need for a new machine.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
:confused::confused::confused:

Very confusing thread-

I agree with poster above......macbook too much power so thinking of MBP???

Mac fourm and asking PC vs. Mac question.

the times we rec. a PC are (used to be) for gaming or running Windows only apps, but for the most part those days are gone (though not for all of course!)

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
All right, everyone. Just an update. I cannot figure out why I wanna sell it, so stop pestering me... :D

Anyway, would you guys help me choose between my three options?
I could sell it for $1150 tonight or trade it for something....

-1.67GHz 15" Powerbook G4 for $790 shipped
-2.16GHz core 2 Duo iMac with 2GB RAM, straight trade
-Dual 2GHz PMG5, 3GB RAM, 400GB HD, 256MB 9800 Pro

LMK what you think. I'd like for one of these things to happen tonight!

Thanks!

(To all of you wondering why the F I'm doing this, it's because it's all part of my master plan to get a laptop I'm happy with for high school and to get a car. Don't make me explain further.)

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England
All right, everyone. Just an update. I cannot figure out why I wanna sell it, so stop pestering me... :D

Anyway, would you guys help me choose between my three options?
I could sell it for $1150 tonight or trade it for something....

-1.67GHz 15" Powerbook G4 for $790 shipped
-2.16GHz core 2 Duo iMac with 2GB RAM, straight trade
-Dual 2GHz PMG5, 3GB RAM, 400GB HD, 256MB 9800 Pro

LMK what you think. I'd like for one of these things to happen tonight!

Thanks!

(To all of you wondering why the F I'm doing this, it's because it's all part of my master plan to get a laptop I'm happy with for high school and to get a car. Don't make me explain further.)

what car you looking to get?

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
First of all, you are losing so much money if you are going to sell it because it is a $1500 computer to start with and it is not that much outdated. Second, you are only 14 and you should be happy to have a brand new Mac to call your own, I had to use an old PowerBook G3 that my dad gave to me until I could afford this MacBook that is quite amazing. Third, your story is all mixed up. You say the MacBook is to much computer for you and then you say you want a MacBook Pro? :confused: It just doesn't add up! Last, don't do something that you will hate yourself for later. If you should be selling any of you computers, you should be selling your older Macs and your PCs. That way you will have a great Mac and be able to save up your money for whatever you want. :)

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
First of all, you are losing so much money if you are going to sell it because it is a $1500 computer to start with and it is not that much outdated. Second, you are only 14 and you should be happy to have a brand new Mac to call your own, I had to use an old PowerBook G3 that my dad gave to me until I could afford this MacBook that is quite amazing. Third, your story is all mixed up. You say the MacBook is to much computer for you and then you say you want a MacBook Pro? :confused: It just doesn't add up! Last, don't do something that you will hate yourself for later. If you should be selling any of you computers, you should be selling your older Macs and your PCs. That way you will have a great Mac and be able to save up your money for whatever you want. :)

First of all, it isn't a brand new Mac. I bought it used three weeks ago, for a trade of items worth $950. I will not be losing money on this sale, I will be gaining it. There's a time and a place for lectures, and that place is college.

Second, anything with a slant that I am spoiled or something is just plain wrong. My parents didn't even give me a computer. I had to mow lawns all summer to afford an iBook. The money and computers I get are earned, through and through.

Third, I want to get into things like video and photography, in addition to the writing job I have at Low End Mac and my Craigslist dealings. That's why I want a MBP, for the dedicated video card. I don't even want a new one, just a Core Duo. I prefer the look of the MBP.

Anyway, if someone could give me their opinion as to which option is best, I am kinda undecided here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.