what computer to pair with ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrklaw, Feb 6, 2010.

1. mrklaw macrumors 65816

I'm definitely going to buy an ipad when they come out. When I'm relaxing at home I'm only doing basic browsing/email on the sofa so its perfect.

but I can't not have a real computer for times when I need to do larger tasks. I had an imac, but found I didn't use it that much as it meant going upstairs to the study. I then bought a macbook which was much more useful due to its portability, but the screen was small for photo editing. I now have a 15" MBP. I also have a mac mini under the TV for home cinema/download management/DVD ripping duties (its on 24/7 at the moment). I tend to manage this using screen sharing from the MBP - I don't have a keyboard or mouse attached to it (I use a harmony remote and plex for HCPC duties)

So, assuming I have an ipad for browsing duties, that opens options up quite a bit I think:

1) have no computer. I already have my mac mini which I can use with a mouse/keyboard on my 1080p TV for photo editing etc, and I can continue to remotely manage it using screen sharing or VNC client.

2) buy an imac. Gives me more horsepower (proper quad core processors) and a fantastic screen which can also be used with a games console/sky HD box (HDMI -> displayport adapter). Yes, I'd have to go upstairs to do tasks, but thats fine as I can still use the ipad for browsing while the machine upstairs is doing stuff.

3) keep my MBP. Dont' overcomplicate things

4) buy a new 15" MBP. I'm thinking mainly for the battery life rather than any speed bump. Then I could start to do fuller tasks and still be untethered from my desk if needed.

5) buy a 13" base model MBP. Again, mainly for the battery. I have an external monitor to get more real estate for doing proper work on, and with the ipad it would mean I could leave it in clamshell mode doing stuff and I'd still have internet etc.

Thoughts?

2. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

3) keep your MBP. Dont' overcomplicate things

13" idea is cool also

3. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

If you have all those macs, why buy another one just because you want to buy an iPad? Whichever one has iTunes on it is all you need for the iPad.

I would love to have just one Mac and you have something like 4.

I am planning to go Apple, but I don't have the money to just buy a new Mac on a whim because I want an iPad. My plan is as follows....

Replace my current iPhone 3G with the updated one due out in June or July.
    Buy the 64GB/3G iPad before the end of the year.
    After getting my tax refund next year, get an iMac to replace the Windows 7 laptop I currently have as a main computer and use the Winows 7 laptop when I need more complex stuff that the iPad won't have on the run.

By mid 2012, get a MacBook.

4. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 65816

I have two at the moment. A mini which is a dedicated HTPC/Sab client, and my MBP which is what is currently being wasted 90% of the time on web browsing, and I get fed up with the battery life on.

If I was to buy an imac or another MBP, I would sell my current one. So I'm not looking at increasing the number of 'proper' computers in the house. Just that an ipad may help me look again at what kind of proper computer I need.

5. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Pair with the mini, buy a wireless mouse and keyboard for it, and since the mini seems to have all your itunes stuff on it the iPad would be best suited with it. Just pay $100 for a wireless mouse and keyboard. No need for a $2k iMac

6. mrklaw thread starter macrumors 65816

I already have a bluetooth mouse/keyboard sitting in a drawer somewhere.

I could try that. It means I wouldn't be able to do 'work' while the kids are watching TV, but I could get around that I guess.

Then I'd be able to sell my MBP and afford a larger ipad (eg 64GB) and still have some money left over. Hmm..

7. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

I dont mean to use the mini as your main computer, you could still use your MBP for example if the kids are watching TV. Im just assuming that you use the mini as a media machine, so your itunes library and probably anything you would want to sycn to the ipad would be on there, which is why I suggested you pair it with the mini.

8. brewno macrumors 6502

I'd use the MBP, while you wait for a new version of the iMac with a better video card.

9. zemzabob macrumors regular

zemzabob

I like this option, that's what I would go with.

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I suggest buying any of the other tablets coming out that run Windows.

You'll be able to install iTunes on it.
    It will have at least one USB port for syncing to the iPad.
    You can use it to browse while your iPad is charging from it's AC adapter.
    It'll have bluetooth and work with the same keyboard and mouse your ipad works with.
    It will constantly remind you how much better Apple is at making a tablet than anyone else is, and you'll get a daily self-pat on the back for your wise choice.
    You can deny mac fanboy-ism truthfully and claim honestly you use both the ipad and a Win7 tablet.

;)

11. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I personally think that when you have to do serious work on your computer it is better to be away from people and distractions. So if I was in your position I would get the iMac.

12. SeattleMoose macrumors 65816

Perfect With A Mini

If you don't have a Mac and dont need a big screen.....get a mini. The iPad IS your display and the mini (and attached HDs, peripherals, etc) is your media center. :cool:

If you have a Mac.....you're already there....unless you're using the iPad as "excuse" to get a new Mac ;)

13. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

When the kids are watching TV are they using the mac mini or watching cable? If they're not using the mac mini... how about this: pair the BT keyboard/mouse with the mini, connect to it using VNC on your iPad and use it was a wireless screen (of sorts) while using the keyboard/mouse to get stuff done. Over wifi the delay isn't terrible - though you're not going to be watching a movie via this method - and then when they're not watching tv you can use the tv as the monitor.

14. drtyrell macrumors member

drtyrell

I would tether the iPad with a Windows Vista machine. That way total lack of innovation and over hyped product line could communicate with a total lack of innovation and over hyped hardware. Seems only logical.