What computer was Steve using at the Keynote? MacPro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by elvtnedge, Jun 11, 2007.

1. elvtnedge macrumors regular

Im dying to know as I wish apps opened that fast and flawlessly on the mac mini 1.66 w/ 2 gigs ram that I have.

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Probably an Octo-Core Mac Pro with 16gb Ram and an Xserve cluster attached to it!:D

3. TimJim macrumors 6502a

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Obviously a Mac Pro. He was testing a 64 bit app vs a 32 bit app.

And i'm sure it was an Octo with wicked fast internet.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

6. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

It's called pre-caching, opening all the applications you might use before the keynote actually starts to make sure that it remains in RAM/cache. Try it yourself. Reboot your machine and open something like Firefox and see how long it takes. Now quit the application and try launching it again. You'll notice it loads faster :p

7. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

But it still loaded things incredibly fast, just like that image with like a gazillion pixels...

8. brandon6684 Guest

I'm pretty sure Steve always uses a Mac Pro(previously PowerMacs) for Keynotes, unless demoing a new machine.

9. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Yeah probably haha. But I'm saying you can achieve the same effect. Sort of using pre-caching like if you wanna "demo" your "new" mac to your friends/colleagues:p But I think all keynotes are definitely pre-cached as part of the pre-keynote setup procedures as it makes for a more consistent "performance". Uh, it doesn't matter how many gazilion pixels a picture has if it has been opened before it will open much faster the next time (assuming not a very long time has passed between consequent opening's)