What constitutes a charge cycle?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OrangeCuse44, Nov 8, 2008.

1. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

When I got my iPhone the other day, the sales rep said the battery has 500 charge cycles to it. I'm wondering what constitutes a charge cycle because I randomly charge it during the work day and would prefer to not destroy the battery faster than it should.

2. equlizer macrumors regular

I was told by many and the apple website that a full charge cycle is from 10-20% battery to full. They recommend doing this once a month or so for maintenance reasons. They also say to top off the battery when you can and does not count as a full cycle charge.

3. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

According to Apple you should at least let the battery run completely out once a month (as the poster above said, for maintenance reasons).

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

5. rogair macrumors member

All Apple notebook batteries have a 1 year/300 charge cycle warranty. I would assume the same for the iPhone/iPod lineup.

6. OrangeCuse44 thread starter macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

you get one free year of AppleCare.

7. firewood macrumors 604

If you charge your iPhone from 90% to full, that counts as less than 1/10th of a full charge cycle, since shallow cycles are less wearing on the battery than deeper dischare/charge cycles. Your iPhone battery is rated for 500 full charge cycles (from below 20% to full).