Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
When I got my iPhone the other day, the sales rep said the battery has 500 charge cycles to it. I'm wondering what constitutes a charge cycle because I randomly charge it during the work day and would prefer to not destroy the battery faster than it should.

equlizer

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
I was told by many and the apple website that a full charge cycle is from 10-20% battery to full. They recommend doing this once a month or so for maintenance reasons. They also say to top off the battery when you can and does not count as a full cycle charge.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
According to Apple you should at least let the battery run completely out once a month (as the poster above said, for maintenance reasons).

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
When I got my iPhone the other day, the sales rep said the battery has 500 charge cycles to it. I'm wondering what constitutes a charge cycle because I randomly charge it during the work day and would prefer to not destroy the battery faster than it should.

If you charge your iPhone from 90% to full, that counts as less than 1/10th of a full charge cycle, since shallow cycles are less wearing on the battery than deeper dischare/charge cycles. Your iPhone battery is rated for 500 full charge cycles (from below 20% to full).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.