What constitutes a good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pod82, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Pod82 macrumors newbie

I understand that it is likely that the Macbook Pro line will be updated soon, but...

If I found a Macbook Pro 13 (of the 2.4 variety) for 999.00 would you consider this to be worth the trade off over having a new model? I am having a hard time figuring if this is a good deal that I should jump on or if it is simply a mediocre deal I should pass up.

I am not going to be using the computer to do anything in the video editing department, so I don't think the i5 is necessary. Most of my computer needs are word processor oriented, but I do occasionally do some Photoshop.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, if you need or want it now and the current gen is fine for your needs, then go ahead and buy it. However, I've heard that MicroCenter has been selling the base 13" MBP for 999$ for months so it's not that amazing deal.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

You heard correct. The advertise it like it's a whiz-bang limited time special but I can't remember a time in the last few months when they didn't have the MBP13 at $999 available.

Trick though is it's brick-and-mortar only; so you have to get yourself to a Microcenter store.

4. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I bought mine back in June for $999 at BB (price matched from Microcenter). They had been advertising it at that price for a while before I bought mine and I haven't seen a time when it hasn't been that price since then.

$999 is about as good a deal as you are going to find for the baseline MBP. Its cheaper than a refurb direct from Apple. The only way you can find a better price than that is to get one open box from Microcenter. Those go for $899 when they have one.

5. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

i don't understand why people who just surf the internet and write on word don't just buy the macbook air... it has a good gpu too if you want just a little photo editing etc.

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

For me its the small HDD that comes in those things. Plus the battery life is better on the MBP.