What controls the MacBook backlight?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nyaos, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Nyaos macrumors newbie

Hey, long story short:

I replaced the broken screen on my MacBook and the backlight isn't on. The screen is working but hardly visable. I tried AGAIN with a new screen and the backlight still doesn't work.

Long story:

Basically I love my white MacBook (Early 08). So it shocked me when I dropped it maybe 4" and the screen cracked. Warranty didn't cover it, and Apple wanted to charge 600 or so for a replacement. Being pretty technical, I bought a new screen off the internet and followed instructions to replace it.

I spent a good 4 hours during the procedure, and when I finished, everything turned on, except the new screen's backlight didn't seem to work. Irritated, I emailed the company I bought the screen from (www.lcdscreen.com) and they quickly sent me a new one overnight. I uninstalled the first screen, then reinstalled the new one, another 4 hours. (over this period I have damaged parts of my MacBook, the repair is really difficult). Turned it on, still nothing. So I am worried I damaged the component powering the backlight? Is that possible? What does that? Is it the inverter board in the swivel?

Any advice would be awesome!

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

The inverter board is is mostly bad. See link for details. Inverter Info.

3. MacSTi macrumors newbie

The inverter board is most likely the issue. You will have to disassemble the display from the computer and remove the clutch cover. After that the inverter cable plugs into the display with the white and pink wire from the display and the black wire that plugs into the logic board. I would check the connection to the logic board just in front of the left hinge. It may of become disconnected during the repair. It may be covered by a piece of foam sticky material.

4. Nyaos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses.

I took a picture of one of the cables connecting to the screen, I know for a fact that I damaged this when I pulled it out, but I thought it was for WiFi or something, the tutorial labeled it as an antenna.

Is this the cord you are talking about, that controls the backlight?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40608425@N02/3747242506/

I circled it, it has the foam on it like you said.

I HIGHLY doubt the inverter board is broke, because it worked just fine up until the repair, and I am almost certain I did not damage it.

5. Nyaos thread starter macrumors newbie

Shameless bump. I really gotta figure this out

6. shaunymac macrumors 6502

Sounds like the inverter to me as well. Atleast you could go back through and make sure everything is plugged in. Fortunately, it isn't an expensive part to replace.

7. MacSTi macrumors newbie

That is the inverter to Logic Board cable. It is very fragile, and by the way to make sure we are talking about the same cable, it also screws into the left hinge, right?

[​IMG]

922-8281 is the apple part number for it...