What cool things can/shall I do with my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Herb Dorklift, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Herb Dorklift macrumors newbie

I'm new to Macs, not new to computers, but new to "owning" one.

I say "owning" because I've always had one, but it's just been "there" if you see what I mean.

This time round I spent a lot of money and just got the basic 2.4ghz 13" MBP, and I want to get my money's worth of owning a good computer!

I already got Spotify (friend sorted me out with an invite, unlimited listens! Amazing), and I'm checking out Garageband (I'm a musician).

So what other cool things can/shall I do with my new purchase? Just little things, like anyone got any cool wallpaper sites, or any hidden options in Safari that are benficial?

Stuff like that :)

Thanks.

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You could get into a helicopter fly up a good skiing mountain and use the MBP as a snowboard to get down the hill. That would be cool and definitely land you lots of youtube fans.

If you want something boring but convenient get BetterTouchTool to make real use of your touchpad.

3. Herb Dorklift thread starter macrumors newbie

What is it? :)

4. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

you can use the mbp to deactivate bombs, you know, the usual.

no but really how are we supposed to know what cool things you want to do to your mac?

5. Herb Dorklift thread starter macrumors newbie

It wasn't a question about what do I want to do, it was what neat stuff is available.

:rolleyes:

6. Username02 macrumors regular

Congrats on the new machine!

For Safari, I highly recommend you check out Apple's Safari Extensions page https://extensions.apple.com/

I use AdBlock and ClickToFlash and couldn't be happier. The internet is so much snappier without the Ads and Flash.

There are a lot of other cool plug-ins there too that might interest you.. and they're free!

GarageBand is a great program and I use it daily as a sketch pad for new songs. You may want to consider getting a digital audio interface for your Mac to take your recording to the next level. You have the FireWire port on your machine so this would be a great use for that. I use the Apogee Duet http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet.php which I love much and more than suits my needs. However, I would recommend a different unit if you plan to record multiple sources at once.

Some sort of Midi Controller (or many midi controllers) also helps a WHOLE bunch.

And don't forget to utilize Time Machine for back-ups. It is super simple and only requires you buy an external hard drive for the back ups. Back-ups aren't necessarily cool, but they are a life saver when something goes wrong.

Other uses for my Mac are as follows:
    -my entire media library in iTunes
    -my entire photo collection in iPhoto
    -Delicious Library 2 to catalog all physical media and gadgets in my house. http://www.delicious-monster.com/
    -DJ set up using Traktor http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-pro/
    -work stuff in Parallels (I work in Windows environments)
    -music production in Logic
    -organization (finally) of all my contacts in Address Book application
    -easy way to keep a calendar in iCal
    -iWeb to easily make a website
    -wired to my TV to watch Hulu and Amazon Unbox the way it should be seen.
    -and more!

So many cool things to do on this machine that I am on it over 10 hours a day...

7. Herb Dorklift thread starter macrumors newbie

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

lol
    I would recommend to throw Safari off the dock and get Chrome/Iron, Opera or Firefox.
    Then get betterTouchTool and add at least a threefinger up swipe to trigger CMD+W. That is extremely convenient. Threefinger down opens a new window in finder, a new Tab in every browser and so on.
    And enable the threefinger middleclick for browser other than Safari.
    And do with tiptaps everything else you use often.

I also think macports is a must have it is just so convenient. I hope this app store Apple is working on offers free apps and the convenience of shell support.

9. deeesea macrumors 6502

Wait.....you bought a laptop and you don't know what you can do with it? o_O

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Chill out, dude. He's new to Macs and is simply asking for an advice. :apple:

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

In order to get the full Mac experience, maximum enjoyment, and benefit from your new laptop, the very best thing you can do is learn OS X. Far too many get wrapped up in adding on or modifying the system while failing to discover all the great features already built in.

To bypass learning all the functionality of one of the very best operating systems, is to cheat oneself.

12. Herb Dorklift thread starter macrumors newbie

She... but thanks ;)

13. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

Use it as a media server via PS3
    DJ with it using Serato
    Gaming
    Website creation

just a few things.

14. pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

you say you're a musician, but what do you play/do most? are you a singer? guitarist? pianist?

if you're a guitarist, definitely check out guitar rig by native instruments. if you're into dj stuff get idrum from izotope.

definitely take some time learning os x and terminal to see what cool things you can do that are built in.

try googling about terminal, it can do all sorts of awesome things (like enabling hidden settings or changing the look/function of your computer): http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=best+mac+terminal+commands&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

definitely install clicktoflash, html5 audio and youtube5 for safari. vlc for media playback. onyx to unlock hidden settings and do maintenance on your machine. alfred is a great free application launcher. pixelmator if you like photoshop.

steam is good if you're into gaming. istat pro (2 is free), dropbox, transmission and unison to download torrent/newsgroup stuff. adium if you use chat programs.

15. fsumom macrumors regular

Great question. I just received my MBP 13" yesterday. I have downloaded Google Chrome. Besides that, I want to just get used to OS X as I am coming from a PC.

16. mulo, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

you just read my mind!
    I hate helping out my friends when they cant get their stuff to work, using all sorts of crap software for the simplest tasks, that OS X could do for them.

edit: added a permanent link to your post in my signature.

17. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

18. Kyffin macrumors 6502

Hi!

Huge difference between using and owning something; are you into customising it? I thought this was one of the best things about having a computer for the first time- being able to change and install things. Wallpapers, icons, its all good- hey, its your computer you can't go wrong! (bet you also find out a fair bit about how a mac works by bonding with it like this:D

If you're liking the spottify, have you come across lastfm.com? Its amazing- free music that can learn what you like, and find things you like that you've never heard before.

If you're after some hidden beneficial safari options maybe try Safari>Safari Extensions Gallery there's some quite useful things there and similarly if you go :apple:>Mac OS X Software there's a load of free apps for you.

Don't know about you but the only mac software in the local shop is anti-virus/office (I mean, RLY) so its good to know useful places to get software (also cnet downloads I find very good if I need a program for something) and if you do go to :apple:>Mac OS X Software there's some widget action to be had. Yes, F4 is a dreary place on your new computer but you can have all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff on your dashboard- hope you enjoy your new computer!

19. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Mea culpa.

20. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Hold down
    control, option, command and 8, all at the same time.

:)

21. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Thanks!