Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TenthDoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
I just received my new MacBook Air 2020 13", and I like to have a cooling mat with my laptops while they sit on a desk. The one that I had previously used with my old HP Laptop and MacBook 2011 does not fit this new computer. The body of the computer is much smaller than those computers, and it does not fit on the pegs that would hold it up.

Does anyone know of a cooling mat/pad that will fit it?

Does anyone here currently use a cooling mat with a 13 inch MacBook Air that works well for them? Please share.

(Please stay on topic, and do not discuss the heat issue that some people have experienced with MacBook Air.)

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
What is the goal of this cooling mat?

In typical use the bottom of my i5 MBA tends to remain lap-comfortable which hasn't been the case with my MBP. I just checked with an IR thermometer and the bottom is at 86F sitting on my desk.

Are you trying to reduce that temperature below that?

Last edited:

TenthDoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
I like using it in the summer on my desk, and then set the computer on top of that. My previous two laptops would just get a little warm in the summer. I don’t have central air conditioning in my house, so I used a cooling mat to help keep it cooler.

I was hoping to make my laptops last longer that way, too.

Both laptops were replaced due to age (hp 2006 laptop was replaced by 2011 MacBook, which I just replaced with 2020 MacBook Air). I never replaced anything on previous two laptops except for the memory on both, and that was only because each one had started to seem really slow while on the Internet.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Size wise, the horizontal dimensions are essentially the same as the MBP13 so you can probably use that as a criteria for identifying a candidate cooling mat.

Personally I'd say give it a bit and see if there's an issue that needs solving. Low power CPU and heatsink not attached to the bottom case may mean it just doesn't need it.

Reactions: mick2

TenthDoctor

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Size wise, the horizontal dimensions are essentially the same as the MBP13 so you can probably use that as a criteria for identifying a candidate cooling mat.

Personally I'd say give it a bit and see if there's an issue that needs solving. Low power CPU and heatsink not attached to the bottom case may mean it just doesn't need it.
Thanks. I will look for one that works with a 13 inch pro.

Reactions: deeddawg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.