Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtjstevens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Sheffield + Bath UK
Hi, the education price for the 20in iMac is about £75 (UK Pounds) less than buying it from my local John Lewis store BUT the latter has a TWO year warrenty as opposed to the usual one. Is the extra year worth £75 (approx)?

Thanks,

RTJ

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I would recommend that you be sure you are getting AppleCare. Not aware of Apple selling a two year warranty. It also covers phone service for the three years.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
AppleCare will extend your Mac's one year warranty to three years and its 90 days phone support to three years. It can be purchased at any time within the original one year warranty period.

If John Lewis offers a 2 year warranty on purchases from them (1 year from Apple and 1 from them I assume) then you have overlapping coverage from Apple and JL if you purchase AppleCare.

Based on the cost of AppleCare (looks like it costs about £95, it would seem to me that you should buy it from Apple at edu pricing and add AppleCare.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
rdowns said:
AppleCare will extend your Mac's one year warranty to three years and its 90 days phone support to three years. It can be purchased at any time within the original one year warranty period.

If John Lewis offers a 2 year warranty on purchases from them (1 year from Apple and 1 from them I assume) then you have overlapping coverage from Apple and JL if you purchase AppleCare.

Based on the cost of AppleCare (looks like it costs about £95, it would seem to me that you should buy it from Apple at edu pricing and add AppleCare.

in europe there is a two year warranty on everything. thats mandatory by law. so the basic apple warranty is minimum 2 years. i still would get the extra year via apple care because the chance that something breaks goes up with time. and in case of a all in one machine it's going to be quite expensive when the logic board or the screen fails.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2004
Here's my experience with apple care. They used to have 24 hour tech support now they dont' THAT SUCKS! However when I was a little mac user and had an iBook my clear acrylic case warped all to hell from heat. It would have cost me $600.00 for a new one they said. But it was back on my door step 3 days later with a new case and $0.00 bill for me. So I always buy it now. It sucks to pay the high price but it can have high savings for you. If your spending more then 1,200 I say get it.

chris

p.s. terrorism sucks my condolences to our friends in the U.K.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.