Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What percent is reasonable for warranty?

• Less than 10%

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • 10%

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 10-12%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-15%

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 15% to 20%

• 20% or more

• Total voters

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I think I read somewhere that no more than 10% of the cost of the laptop. What do you think? Assuming no protection from credit card company.

Given that things don't last long, for laptop of $1800-2000, I wonder if it is worth to spend 10% on warranty.

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I just pulled up the Lenovo support page for my Yoga C940. I have one year standard warranty. I can purchase 3 years for $60. Of course, this requires shipping the laptop to Lenovo. For approx $88 I can get three years of next day, at my home service. For an additional $70, I can get accidental damage protection.

This is for a $1300 laptop. If I had bought extended warranty from bestbuy, it would have cost $353. Twice as much as Lenovo's top offer.

So it is definitely good to see what is available.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I think I read somewhere that no more than 10% of the cost of the laptop. What do you think? Assuming no protection from credit card company.

Given that things don't last long, for laptop of $1800-2000, I wonder if it is worth to spend 10% on warranty.
If a $2000 laptop does not last long it is junk.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Given that things don't last long,
It depends on what things you're talking about - for laptops, I found that not to be the case, i.e., they do last long. My last MBP was a 2012 model, and its still going strong. I have a SurfaceBook laptop as well, completely unused at this stage and exception of a couple of issues cropping up didn't let me down. I fully expect my Thinkpad to last more then 3 years and so far the build quality of it has led me to believe I shouldn't be disappointed

for laptop of $1800-2000, I wonder if it is worth to spend 10% on warranty.
I guess I got a great deal with Lenovo because I paid in the 80 dollar range for 2 years (for a full warranty period of 3 years). I'm pretty happy about that. I just looked at Amazon and BestBuy's 2 year extended warranty, which are 137 and 273 respectively. Both of those seem to include accidental damage and my extended warranty does not, yet I'm still pretty tickled pink that about the low cost.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
It depends on what things you're talking about - for laptops, I found that not to be the case, i.e., they do last long. My last MBP was a 2012 model, and its still going strong. I have a SurfaceBook laptop as well, completely unused at this stage and exception of a couple of issues cropping up didn't let me down. I fully expect my Thinkpad to last more then 3 years and so far the build quality of it has led me to believe I shouldn't be disappointed

I guess I got a great deal with Lenovo because I paid in the 80 dollar range for 2 years (for a full warranty period of 3 years). I'm pretty happy about that. I just looked at Amazon and BestBuy's 2 year extended warranty, which are 137 and 273 respectively. Both of those seem to include accidental damage and my extended warranty does not, yet I'm still pretty tickled pink that about the low cost.
Yea I've never had a laptop all out hardware fail before:

A) Something wasn't supported properly by a new version of Windows.
B) Went obsolete because of newer games/hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.