What could be causing me to drop my wireless?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sabre364, Aug 10, 2008.

1. sabre364 macrumors member

I am somehow randomly dropping my wireless connection once in a while, seemingly mainly after I come back to the computer after being away for a while. I come back and I am completely unconnected.

However, I can still see the network, but cannot connect. I hit connect and windows tries too, but is not able to do anything.

The authentication is all there, it is set to automatically connect (and does do that when I come back from sleep or restart the machine), and it is not the signal strength.

The only thing I'm able to do is go to sleep, and wake it up again. Then it does reconnect.

I can't think of what could be doing this. My roommate has the same computer and with leopard he is never disconnected when it happens to me. It is very very annoying when I'm downloading something.

edit: I wanted to add that I unchecked the box to allow 'the computer to turn off the wireless adapter when not in use'. I dont know if that would help anything.

2. aggieguard719 macrumors newbie

The same thing happens to me sometimes. Instead of rebooting, you can just click the airport icon and turn airport off, and back on. Keeping the signal just depends on where you are in the room... or your proximity to the router.

My router is far away from my Macbook, but if I just turn airport on/off, it finds the signal again pretty quick.

3. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

I'm using vista but disabling and re-enabling the wireless adapter should do the same thing.

I definitely tried that once and it didn't do anything...but lately (keeping my fingers crossed) whenever it happens I make it go to sleep and startup again - I should try the disable/enable the adapter again, see if that works.

4. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

I tried disabling IPv6 but am still having problems.

I will still be connected to the network but all of a sudden I lose 'internet' connectivity and only have local connectivity.