What could be causing my "speaker interference"+ More Speaker Popping Discussion!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by celticpride678, Aug 19, 2009.

1. celticpride678

As some may know, I am continuing to figure out why my MacBook speakers make a "pop" noise and I have come across another possibility: Speaker Interference. I have heard it in the past and doubted it, but I am going to try.

Right now, I have these things near or on my desk (Can any be causing the interference?):

1. Samsung External Monitor
    2. Cell Phone
    3. LAN Line Phone
    4. iPod touch
    5. Desk Lamp
    6. Wireless Apple Keyboard and Wireless Mighty Mouse
    7. iHome v6
    8. Pencil Sharpener

Also, can Bluetooth or Airport being on cause this interference? Thanks for the help!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The pop at first sound is the sound chip powering on. I know you know this as well.....

Interference would cause the issue all the time even while sound is being played as opposed to just at the first sound being produced after a length of no sound reproduction from the speakers.

With that said, the cell phone (while in use/pinging the tower) and pencil sharpener (while running) could both cause interference.

The reason you don't have the issue under Windows is because Windows power optimization doesn't shut down the audio chipset to save power.

3. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Thanks for that information. I have noticed it start to happen randomly now. It is really getting weird. Because it was happening randomly, I kinda gave up on the idea of the sound chip powering on. And if it is still that, Apple needs to think of a better way of disguising it, because it is a pretty loud pop, scares me, like I said. The Genius' at the Apple Store all said, it was a logic board issue and can replace it, but it was hard to re-create the issue, so they can't until they actually hear it all the time. Which it might be now. I just want to try everything before I go in for the third time with the same issue.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Hmm

If it's a loud pop, then that's a bit different. With mine, if I adjust the speaker volume after not using them for quite some time, the first "pop" or "beep" sounds truncated, like the beginning is missing.

If it's an actual pop, then that's a little different. Sounds more like a driver issue, but it's a shame with OS X you can't just re-install a driver like in a Windows environment.

5. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

So, would an Archive and Install reinstall the driver?

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I imagine it should...not positive though. Did this start to happen with a specific software update to the OS? If that's the case, you could try going back and re-installing the update using the Combo Updater instead of the incremental update.

7. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I really began to notice it on 10.5.7, but then again, that is when I got the computer. Not sure. I can try to Archive and Install later today. Any other possibilities?

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Have you upgraded to 10.5.8?

If not, combo update to there first. Beyond that and what we've came up with, nope...no other ideas at the moment.

9. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Yes, I have and I used the combo updater. So, no way it can be the logic board? Must be software?

Edit: can it also be the driver it happens at startup instead of the chime when the sound is mute?