What could be causing these funky icons in my Dock?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moof1904, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I have my dock set to magnify as I roll over it and I've noticed that portions of certain icons are disappearing when I roll over them. When I roll off of them, they go back to normal.

Any ideas?

(Mac Pro Quad 2.8, 2 gigs RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600 256 meg)

Here are some before and after shots.

Attached Files:

2. basherhp2112 macrumors member

basherhp2112

Me Too!!!

I also have received these strange looking icons on my dock.

I have noticed them immediately after using iDVD.

I am not sure why it occurs, but I end up performing a 'Restart' and it fixes the problem.

The added bonus of restarting also seems to keep that Beach Ball of Death from spinning out of control.

Hope this helps.

Peace...

3. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Don't use iDVD

I've actually never used iDVD (I have DVDSP.) So, for me at least, that's not part of the issue. Haven't tried restarting to see if that fixes it for a time. I'll try that now and see if it goes away temporarily.

4. evanXXbuddenboh macrumors newbie

It wont go away just temporarily, when i had my powerbook g4, it used to do that, i took it to the apple store, and one of the people there said that it was a video card issue, and it did exactly as yours did, so its a video card issue

5. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

A reboot fixed it, at least for a time.

When you say video card issue do you mean that it's a normal part of the video card behavior or do you mean that my video card has a problem and I should be seeking a replacement?

6. evanXXbuddenboh macrumors newbie

what i ment by video card , was that it is not normal, it is a issue, but thank god, my powerbook was under warranty, without warranty the repair is around
    $800. So yah it obviously isnt a normal thing, so it is a issue, and you should be seeking a replacement. When did you buy the computer?

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You may have some corrupted PRAM cache or Hardware cache files. I would do this as it will probably fix a lot of issues:

1. SMC reset
    2. PRAM reset
    3. Safe Boot and then restart.

8. evanXXbuddenboh macrumors newbie

Also see if it does the same thing without maagnification

9. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

I had the same problem, do you also have a missing trash bin and stripes through the background? If so, I re-booted and the problem went away.

10. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

I bought it in April of this year. It's a January Mac Pro.

11. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

have you tried an archive install to fix the issue? read up how to archive install, make sure ur system is totally backed up. and see if reseting teh base OS helps.

i had an issue with office 04 after an update. and i tried to fixed an unrelated problem with an archive install, and it fixed the office problem.

12. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

Man, the thought of a reinstall gives me a headache. I'd hate to have to do that!

13. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

Have you tried "killall Dock" in the terminal and then pressing enter? If it works, it would be much faster than restarting.

14. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

do u know what an archive and install is? it just nukes ur base OS, and saves your user folder and apps. you will lose most of your preferences for OSX/finder based tasks thought. but otherwise, when u reboot, you can hardly tell it's changed.

15. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

16. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Looks like a video corruption. Have you downloaded the latest video card drivers from ATI?