What could be the 11.6" for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ermir4444, Oct 2, 2010.

?

What will the 11.6" used for?

1. Redesigned MacBook Air

67 vote(s)
    77.0%
  2. Redesigned MacBook

9 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Bigger iPad

6 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Some new revolutionary product (low end laptop)

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. ermir4444 macrumors regular

ermir4444

According to the recent rumours Apple ordered somewhere around 500.000 new 11.6" screens. I was wondering would they use this screen on a new MBA or a new Macbook or maybe a bigger iPad as well? Or they could just introduce something new that no-one knows about.

2. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Better not be a new air or i'll be very disappointed. 13" is the smallest form factor I can really find useful in all parts of my day.

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Choices are a good thing. How about a consumer 11.6" MBA and prosumer 13.3" and 15.4" MBAs? Then Intel IGP could be used in the 11.6" and produce super low cost Macs... and yet focus on a range of ultraportable market buyers.

I don't for a second believe Apple would axe the 13" for an 11", but I believe they would add more versions/options for the MBA.

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I think they'll replace the MB with a low end 11.6" MBA which spec's suit that the price of the MB whilst also offering some good CPU upgrades.

5. animatedude macrumors 65816

switching thje 13.3'' Air to 11.6'' is not really the smartest idea because it's the only way you could take the Air for now but i think it's an amazing amazing idea that will be the ultimate tool for businessmen or anyone who wants an ultra portable device for every day normal needs like checking your emails and you know...checking your emails ;)

6. cleric macrumors 6502a

cleric

7. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

There is already a pretty solid rumor of a smaller ipad, doubt theyd make it bigger and close to the size of a macbook.

Its gotta be an air.

8. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

11.6" iPad might be nice, bigger but lighter. Although a 9.7" with a retina display would be even better.

I think it's definitely a MBA.

9. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

A 9.7" retina is not really possible....too many pixels, not enough power to drive it.

10. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Technology changes.

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Yes, but it is simply not possible at this point in time.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

totally. tiny, small, slim, underpowered. fits MBA description perfectly. nonetheless - id buy one, given the right price!

13. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Hopefully it is not the MacBook Air...

I have not seen Apple be driven necessarily by their competition, but instead a leader. Even Sony (as I have heard) regretted putting out their small cheaper laptop, taking attention away from their "Z" models.

If they do put out a small Air, they should also continue with a 13". 13" is more practical, besides a 9.1" would compete with the ipad and that is what Steve does not want...

After all, if everyone remembers...when the ipad first came out, the hype around it generated a lot of press and foreshadowed (as Steve Jobs suggested), that the ipad technology would eventually replace the laptops and desktops, ushering a new "era", ending the "computer" generation...

14. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Maybe... the new iPad will be at least 6 months away. Currently the iPad has ~780k pixels, to double the resolution would give it ~3.15m pixels. It'd need 4x the performance -- this GPU in the iPad will need to be a fair bit better.
    Haha, :D, I'm more interested in the retina iPad -- I'd buy that no matter the price (not literally)!

15. Gruber macrumors regular

Currently, I am at one of those conferences. A few hundred professors of computer science, philosophy and related disciplines converge. Also, a couple of journalists. Fewer macs than a few years ago (back then, the audience seemed to be split between Powerbooks and Thinkpads).

From here, I can see a couple of MBAs, a bunch of MBPs, two iPads, but the majority uses Acers, Thinkpads and Sonys (at least 4 Vaio X). And guess what: the majority uses subnotebooks (mostly <13in).

Why? These guys are not price sensitive, so you dont see many netbooks. Usually, their departments buy the hardware. All have big screens in their offices. On the road they want something light and compact. They are going to take notes during talks, whip them out during coffee breaks to jot down a sudden idea, or to apply last-minute changes to a presentation. The computer scientists often also run IDEs, and occasionally demos.

If Apple produces a robust, light, compact and sufficiently powerful subnotebook with a good keyboard, this crowd is going to buy it like crazy.

If you are a poor student who does not want to cram the dorm room with a secondary display (or, god forbid, a secondary computer), you are probably much better off with a MBP, though. And if you consider buying an iPad instead, then you probably don't need a computer for work, so go ahead and buy the iPad and a bluetooth keyboard already.

16. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I think the road warrior crowd would eat up a 11.5" MBA. The iPad does just not cut it as a portable work tool like a sub-notebook or netbook does. I miss my trusty 12" PB and would buy a 11.5" MBA if it were to be made available at a decent price, even though I paid just a touch over 2k for the PB. :eek:

17. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

THis has been debated hotly in the iPad forum and the consensus is that the Retina Display on an ipad won't be possible for years, not months.

18. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

retina display of that size is almost impossible
    not this year or next year
    maybe of the PC
    roadwarriors unite!

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im not overly worried about that - it looks damn sexy already :)

20. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Either you're hallucinating or the trolls on the MBA threads saying it's a useless product that's been replaced by the iPad must be wrong ;-)

Thanks for the informative post. I couldn't agree more given my personal experience at science conferences.

Sounds like an interesting meeting, blending computer science with philosophy. Which event is it?

21. thinkdesign macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Re: the "what is it for?" question:

That's an interesting report of a conference.

But it seems that the other potential market for an Air if they can figure out how to tweak the design, is-- students.

Maybe 5 years ago A computer consultant Hank Keyes (sp?) mentioned sending his teenager off to college with a carefully-selected laptop. He said he was surprised to hear back that this was a mistake, because students did not lug laptops to class. Apparently all the dorm residents had only desktops, which were less vulnerable to being stolen out of the dorm rooms, such as if the owner isn't there and a roommate has the front door unlocked, people come and go, and "whoops, nobody saw who stole your laptop." A laptop is easier to steal, esp. if it's so heavy that it doesn't leave that desk. (I know, you can argue that cable locks exist, not that the Air can accomodate them -- but I'm just relaying what Hank K said his daughter reported to him.)

Now, this leads me to wonder: What happens with dorm-dwelling students these days with ultra-light and lighter netbooks available? Do students increasingly these days WANT their computer to be portable, because it can be so light that they WILL take it with them to class and the library?

If the next Air had a socket for a cable lock, and had a big enough memory to be a student's sole computer (many can't afford 2)... and had whatever amount of battery life students need... maybe maybe maybe a revised Air could tap into more of that huge group of student computer buyers...

...thus, multiplying sales, and so becoming something that is not at the bottom of Apple's priorities for future upgrade-attention.

Of course, all of this might be what's about to arrive, very soon.

22. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Unless you work for Apple, or design LCDs for a living, neither of you are qualified to speak authoritatively about that.

23. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

um assuming it is just like the iPhone 4 retinal display it will have nearly five million pixels :eek: iPhone 4 has 614 400 pixels and 2 to the 3rd is 8 so it would have ~4,915,200 pixels, now applying Moore's Law corollaries that means 4.5 years until it is profitable

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i didnt know moores law applied to monitors... :rolleyes:

25. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It can only be a multiple of the original resolution. The only option is 2048x1536 (264 PPI) which equates to ~3.2m pixels which is 4x the pixels it currently has.