What could be wrong with a Powermac G4 that won't boot from a CD?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by styxfan, Dec 7, 2007.

1. styxfan macrumors member

Someone wants to sell me their Powermac G4 1.25 Dual for 200 bucks but it doesn't have an OS and it won't boot from a cd. They are in another state, so they'd ship it to me, meaning I can't try it out...

Anyone know if something serious could be wrong? It's probably just a drive, but I don't want to buy it and have it be something else.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Um, shipping is always a bad idea unless you know the people, especially when you cannot inspect the item.

Worst case scenario: everything including logic board, cpu, hardrive is dead/fried. You are essentially getting a case.

Best case scenario: they have no clue. But if they tried to boot from a CD, they have some clue.

Why would they NOT have a harddrive to boot it up or test it? If they have another mac they can use it as a firewire drive. How did they erase the harddrive if they cannot boot from a CD? You need to boot from another device to erase the boot drive.

So I would be cautious.

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

AFAIK, thats a really low price for that particular machine......I'd be very suspicious :eek: