What could happen?

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
1,336
74
New York (not NYC)
I would like to clean my screen with a slightly damp cloth (my iBook) but do not want to shut it down as I am working. Why does Apple recommend shutting down the iBook first?... I ask this because I wish to sleep it to clean it, because the screen is off in both scenarios.
 

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
1,581
0
rye9 said:
I would like to clean my screen with a slightly damp cloth (my iBook) but do not want to shut it down as I am working. Why does Apple recommend shutting down the iBook first?... I ask this because I wish to sleep it to clean it, because the screen is off in both scenarios.
GO ahead and do the sleeping. Your screen probably only needs to be shut down.:)
 

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
948
0
rye9 said:
I would like to clean my screen with a slightly damp cloth (my iBook) but do not want to shut it down as I am working. Why does Apple recommend shutting down the iBook first?... I ask this because I wish to sleep it to clean it, because the screen is off in both scenarios.
What happens when you plug in a power cord with wet hands? Probably nothing, but there's a chance of being shocked....

If you get water into something that shouldn't get wet when it's running, there's a chance you'll short something out.
 

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
1,336
74
New York (not NYC)
Well the cloth isnt dripping or anything, its very rung out.. if there's no risk of it dripping, should it be fine?
 

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
11,744
4,143
Republic of Ukistan
rye9 said:
Well the cloth isnt dripping or anything, its very rung out.. if there's no risk of it dripping, should it be fine?
It should, but why chance it? You should never let water near anything electrical if it's switched on - unless it's specifically waterproof. Water conducts electricity, both to you and to other components not otherwise connected.

Just shut it down.
 

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
948
0
skunk said:
It should, but why chance it? You should never let water near anything electrical if it's switched on - unless it's specifically waterproof. Water conducts electricity, both to you and to other components not otherwise connected.

Just shut it down.
Real men don't pay attention to warnings....or read instructions....or stop for directions....etc.

haha
 

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
11,744
4,143
Republic of Ukistan
mmmcheese said:
Real men don't pay attention to warnings....or read instructions....or stop for directions....etc.

haha
This real man has chopped through a live 60A cable before now. Now that was real. But at least it was dry.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
Pure water doesn't conduct electricity very well.

It's the pollutants in the water that impove electrical conductivity.

But it's real hard to find.

---

Apple is probably covering their bases for those who would mist the screen to clean it.
 

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
11,744
4,143
Republic of Ukistan
Sun Baked said:
Pure water doesn't conduct electricity very well.

It's the pollutants in the water that impove electrical conductivity.
Fine. Check your water purity. If it's good and clean, throw a bucket of it over the computer and give it a good rinse. Just make sure it's not doing any CPU-intensive tasks at the time.

:rolleyes:
 

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
948
0
skunk said:
This real man has chopped through a live 60A cable before now. Now that was real. But at least it was dry.
Did you finish off by peeing on it?
 

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
4,868
6
Illinois
Water doesnt clean anything anyway. Instead of submerging towel in water and then ringing it out, just take a clean dry towel and lightly give it one or two sprays of Windex or other comparable cleaner - which evaporates faster than water and actually cleans the surface you put it on.
 

rye9

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
1,336
74
New York (not NYC)
dpaanlka said:
Water doesnt clean anything anyway. Instead of submerging towel in water and then ringing it out, just take a clean dry towel and lightly give it one or two sprays of Windex or other comparable cleaner - which evaporates faster than water and actually cleans the surface you put it on.
Apple says to use water and only water though.
 

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
4,868
6
Illinois
rye9 said:
Apple says to use water and only water though.
I usually just use a dry cloth. But water really doesn't clean anything and I've never had trouble in all these years using one or two sprays on a towel. Why would it matter if its water or windex or milk?
 

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
948
0
rye9 said:
Apple says to use water and only water though.
Last time I checked Apple's site (first time I had to clean my iBook screen...which was about 3 years ago), they suggested a 30% rubbing alcohol and 70% water mixture for the LCD and case. Of course the cloth should be wrung as dry as possible before cleaning anything...and it should be a soft cloth, not something made out of wood fibres.
 
mmmcheese said:
Real men don't pay attention to warnings....or read instructions....or stop for directions....etc.

haha
This real man swam the Nile, then caught a flight back to the States on which I stopped a would-be shoe bomber, & when I got home I took a bath while balancing a plugged-in toaster on my head. I unclog my nose in the general direction of safety!
 

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
948
0
Boggle said:
This real man swam the Nile, then caught a flight back to the States on which I stopped a would-be shoe bomber, & when I got home I took a bath while balancing a plugged-in toaster on my head. I unclog my nose in the general direction of safety!
This real man said "Yes" when asked if those pants made her look fat.
 

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
2,173
4
New HAMpshire
first of all- what the heck is on your screen?

Why can't you shut it down temporarily?

(I hope I didn't miss the answers to the above two questions- but don't remember reading them in the thread.)

I always use a dry lcd cloth like the one apple provides free- and for stubborn food splashes and such I always breathe on my screen to put a slight amount of moisture and use the dry cloth which seems to work really well. I just have to be careful that I don't touch it with my tongue...zap!:eek:
 

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
1,087
1
Not at the beach...
mmmcheese said:
Last time I checked Apple's site (first time I had to clean my iBook screen...which was about 3 years ago), they suggested a 30% rubbing alcohol and 70% water mixture for the LCD and case. Of course the cloth should be wrung as dry as possible before cleaning anything...and it should be a soft cloth, not something made out of wood fibres.
This sounds like a good method.
I used water on my PBs screen and now I have water spots that wont go away. So you should use something that evaporate quickly.